Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach Slash Wholesale Fibre Broadband Prices for UK ISPs

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Openreach (BT) is to cut the prices of their wholesale “fibre broadband” (FTTC and FTTP) products to ISPs by up to 40%, which they say is designed to encourage providers to switch more of their old copper line (ADSL) users on to faster internet connections and this in turn will help to improve coverage.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/openreach-slash-wholesale-fibre-broadband-prices-for-u...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/24/superfast-broadband-bt-charges-openreach-sky-talkta...

Though apparently full savings will not be passed on to customers !

(Please move to appropriate forum)

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Openreach Slash Wholesale Fibre Broadband Prices for UK ISPs

@Infinity wrote:

Though apparently full savings will not be passed on to customers !

That goes without saying.

And any savings passed on will soon disappear if the last few years of rising bills are anything to go by.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@billnotben wrote:

!

And any savings passed on will soon disappear if the last few years of rising bills are anything to go by.

But, if one continues to pay less than one would have without the meters, surely that is a saving.For example now Smarthouse pays £x-y, Dumbrhouse  £x. Prices go up 5%; Smarthouse pays( £x-y)*1.05, Dumbhouse £x*1.05. That's still a comparative saving by Smarthouse.

The Smarthouses have other problems. Their correspondence is too often misnamed.Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Bricker

There's only one way the home broadband bills are going ^
Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

When I first got ADSL BB from BT in 2007 I was paying some £18 a month for 10GB, which is a lot more than many deals today.  My previous dial-up Anytime with Freeserve/Wannado/Orange/EE was £14.99/month.  I'm sure there is room for a reduction in fibre prices at some point.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When I finally changed from dial-up to ADSL broadband it was cheaper. This is no longer happening with fibre. Prices are just going up.

I think that's basically because broadband is now a necessary utility especially if you have kids or you are a student - for study purposes. And the ISP's all know this.