Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening laptops

Tsonga
Grafter

Opening laptops

Hey there!
What do you do when you need to upgrade laptop components? I would like to add RAM memory to mine; I did it succesfully on my desktop computer but am wondering about the laptop. It seems a lot more complicated. Is it really? Have you tried?
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Opening laptops

Most would have been designed  to upgrade the hard drive and RAM. Normally a couple of screws to be removed to either slide out the hard drive or to remove a cover to get to the RAM sockets.
Community Veteran

Quote from: BlueRhizome
wondering about the laptop. It seems a lot more complicated.

There are very few updates you can do on most laptops, but what there is will be very easy. RTFM.
There is normally a memory expansion slot easily accessible under a removeable cover (few small screws) on the base.
Often you can replace the hard disk, usually a couple of screws to release the carrier then a few more to remove the drive itself, obviously you need to reinstall the OS on a new drive.
Some "top end" models have additional bays for adding extra disks, batteries or CD/DVD drives.
Pretty much anything else will need to be plugged in to an external socket.
They are not designed to go inside and swap components like a typical desktop.
Lurker
Grafter

If anything its often easier to replace/upgrade RAM on a laptop, since when you remove the cover on the base, you are presented with the RAM - you don't have to fight through cables, or behind enclosures to get to the slots like you have to on many PCs!
www.Crucial.com is a good place to get your RAM from.
They also provide this video, which might help you feel a little more confident before you try it yourself!.
http://www.youtube.com/v/MbPaR1Ci-Ug&hl=en&fs=1
Tsonga
Grafter

Wow! Thanks for this! Crucial is actually where I got the desktop memory upgrade from. The video is very helpful; my laptop looks virtually identical to the one they are showing. It does look incredibly easy compared with the desktop upgrade. I shall go for it then!
Thanks again!  Smiley
scootie
Grafter

Some laptops have the spare memory slot under the keyboard. mine did and was just a one screw under the laptop and a few clips around the edge of the keyboard.
As you have found Crucial is a gd site for upgrades.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and be careful how you hold the board, they dont like static, follow the video carefully