cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenStreetMap

Denzil
Grafter

OpenStreetMap

Anyone come across OpenStreetMap? It is a global open source community mapping project, rather similar to Google Maps but free for anyone to use. For example, it could be used to create "how to find us" maps for websites, and there are people who use data from OSM to compile free maps for Garmin GPS units. This is how I found out about it - I bought a Garmin Legend, which will do route finding, but found Garmin's own maps to cover the UK would have cost about the same again!
The idea is that anyone can contribute to the map by recording a GPS trace, and using either an online editor or a Java application to draw over the trace to create roads, paths, areas etc. You can also use any other open source data, e.g. from the newly released Ordnance Survey OpenData, and use that to trace out the map.
I am hooked already Cool. My own patch in West Cornwall isn't well covered in places, so I am working my way around and adding in a load of unmapped roads. The Java application also has a plugin that can show out of copyright OS maps from the 1940s, which offer a great insight into local history. If you like maps then go have a look, and even better, join in Smiley.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: OpenStreetMap

I use these maps on my GPS which come from OpenStreetMap http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm
I wonder if the maps released by the OS recently can be used to expand the database
Denzil
Grafter

Indeed they can. In fact, if you look really closely, you might just see that I have already said that Wink
The Java app (called JOSM) has a plug-in which can display a background layer from OS OpenData. The idea behind OSM is that features are based on a series of points or nodes. You take your GPS trace, or OS OpenData background, draw the features on top, and then upload them to OSM when you are done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

* Jim wanders off to find his glasses   Embarrassed
However that wasn't really what I was thinking.
My thought was whether it would be possible to import the raster data from the OS directly into the system
Denzil
Grafter

Maybe it would be possible, but I gather it is not the done thing. OS maps have quite a lot of minor errors, and sometimes deliberate mistakes, so the idea is for local people to check the data and draw the features in with the benefit of local knowledge.
I am stuck at home with a cold today Sad, so I have been adding a lot of roads in the Camborne and Redruth area Smiley.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its a fact that the London A-Z has deliberate faults to trap people who copy them.
PocketGPS  are also using OPEN Map as in some parts of the world it has a far greater coverage than Google maps,
this is the one they used as an example  take a look at: 43.889480,25.964126 (it's in Romania - they have speed camera data there too)
then zoom out 5 or 6 levels.
enter that in the google search and into  http://www.openstreetmap.org/