cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open reach to be spun off

quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Open reach to be spun off

So BT are being forced to sell off Openreach. Well overdue as BT have used it as a cash cow for ever, underinvesting in the UK infrastructure and raking in vast profits from the service. It will be interesting now to see how BT's (and PN's) broadband charges are sustained without the hidden cross-subsidies.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
51 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Open reach to be spun off

not sure where you got that from?

They've appointed a new chairman to OR to prevent that from happening http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/28/bt-appoints-openreach-chairman-avoid-break-up/
Will Moderate For Thanks
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fixes: 101

yeah just seen it here now as well http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/ofcom-oders-bt-split-openreach-network/

I need more coffee Smiley

Though it's not a sell off as it will still be under the BT umbrella.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Interesting because BBC have just said it will no longer be part of BT.

I suppose that's the difference between what the public perceive as a separate company and legally. 

idonno
Grafter

Can only be good news. Doesn't matter how things really are, it's how the public perceive things.

And looking forwards does this mean the end of the current tussle between the ISP (not our fault) and OR (also not our fault) trying to get faults sorted. I have never quite understood why, when you have a fault, you cannot contact OR direct. Think electricity! You don't need to contact your supplier to get a fault fixed. You get in touch direct with the people distributing the stuff. Maybe OR isn't correctly setup to handle customer problems.

Minivanman
Hero

Are we not all jumping the gun here?

This has been kicked around for months, and as for BT being forced to do anything what I read is that Ofcom were only preparing a formal notification to the European Commission to start the process - but given that the UK are also preparing to leave leave the EU.......

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Yes we are jumping the gun. The BBCs version of events is very inaccurate; all that is happening at the moment is that Ofcom is preparing a submission to the EU which will pave the way for the foundation of separate Governing Boards for BT and OpenReach, but as far as I can see the parent company will still be BT. There's a long way to go yet.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

and why would the EU have any interested in dealing with submissions from the UK when the UK have already told the EU that they are offksi at some point.
the EU would be quite right to simply put anything from the UK to the bottom of the list.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@chenks76 - However - unfortunately - we are still full members of the EU, so your argument is invalid.Smiley

John
Community Veteran

Try re-reading what I said
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I have - and still can't see why what you have said is correct.

NOT trying to pick an argument, chencks, but some of your posts are occaisionally a bit obtuse. Smiley

John
Community Veteran

"and why would the EU have any interest in dealing with submissions from the UK when the UK have already told the EU that they are offksi at some point.
the EU would be quite right to simply put anything from the UK to the bottom of the list."

the fact that the UK are still full member at this point is irrelevant to what i said in the post.
try reading it a third time and maybe you'll the grasp the concept.
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, but they would not be "quite right" to put us at the bottom of any list.

We are still paying our dues and we are are still a member. If the EU are going to start playing silly wotsits we might just as well cancel that standing order and pack our bags now..... and the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.    

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Stuff the EU, exactly what are they going to do about it if we go ahead without their authority ? Kick us out of the EU ? good, save us hanging around to March and end some of these legal attempts to keep us in.