cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open government??

Community Veteran

Open government??

last week Brown promised a new ere of openness.  Yesterday in the first test of this new era he fell at the first hurdle.  He announced an inquiry into the Iraq war but it will be held totally in private and be conducted by a civil servant.
Do I sense a cover-up here?  Aren't we entitled to know why we went into the war, who took the decisions and why it's cost over £6 billion so far?
Also aren't the families who lost members in the war entitled to know all the facts?
Naturally there will be certain information of a confidential nature that could be regarded as state security and this could be heard in camera but the inquiry should be public.
28 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Open government??

Ah well you see it'd cost more wouldn't it, and we can't waste money now can we.....
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

"Open Government" was the title of the very first Yes Minister episode - still as relevant today as when it was made!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Isn't it a pity we can make a program like that that's so close to the truth it's not funny Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

A scary thought Strat Undecided
Adiewoo, sorry for being so naive, why didn't I think of the waste of public money Embarrassed
Community Veteran

It's what one expects of any British government -
did we get a open government approach to enquiries into our involvement in Suez or even the Falklands conflicts [wars ]
Difference is that Eden never recovered from the failure - and Thatcher used the success to boost her own popularity.
Community Veteran

I wonder just how many people are aware that stupid decisions made by the British government encouraged the Argentinians to think they'd get away with invading the Falklands? If clear signals had been given the whole war would not have happened.
Community Veteran

Indeed - in fact the actions of John Nott, UK Defence secretary and PM Thatcher in the Royal Navy cuts and the planned withdrawal of HMS Endurance positively signalled that Britain was not interested in the Falklands.
Naval and other Intelligence had long warned that Argentina were planning to invade the Falklands.
If instead of signalling they were planning to withdraw HMS Endurance - they should have sent a few ships south including a nuclear patrol submarine, as recommended by the Admiralty. 
Community Veteran

open government would be great.  how would we go about it?  would we appoint rather than elect?  appointees can be sacked any time.  how would we go about decentralising government?
i pay taxes to my local council.  why do they give it to the government.  let the local council keep what it collects and the government can ask for what it wants, cap in hand.  they'd have to put up a better case than 'we think it would be a good idea'.
itsme
Grafter

Think you better go a check your local council budget as my local council receive more from central government than it collects.
Community Veteran

Yes, councils receive money from central government but in ever decreasing amounts each year. There has to be a better way of funding local government and that may be a local tax that can be levied on the community.  Let the local government put a case for its budget requirements and the people can vote. The present council tax should be replaced with a local income tax.
Obviously major expenditure such as schools and hospitals building would have to be funded centrally.
itsme
Grafter

Problem with local tax is that people do not necessarily work and shop in the area that they live in. When you tax the house you know that the household is paying for the services they receive.
itsme
Grafter

and I don't want to fund local government but local services.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
Indeed - in fact the actions of John Nott, UK Defence secretary

Ah yes, the famous 'Here Today, Gone Tomorrow’ politician!
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
and I don't want to fund local government but local services.

Both the same thing if the people have a say!
I favoured the Poll tax which was unpopular with many.  Certainly better than the current council tax.