Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Office

home99
Grafter

Open Office

Hi,
Anyone currently using the free office suite Openoffice?  I understand it allows compatibility between MS files but how is the user interface and general feel of the software?
I dont want to install it on a fresh HD only to find i dislike it. I cannot locate my old MS office suite, so wondering if any long time users of the above would recommend it (apart from it being free) before I shell out for MS products.
Regards
Dave
17 REPLIES
home99
Grafter

Re: Open Office

Hmmm,
Thought you might say that.  My son is just starting to use MS products at school and I use it constantly at work - my wife too.  Funny enough I have just completed ECDL today but I was hoping the principles (shortcuts, etc) would be the same if not very similiar.
Regards
Dave
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I use open office at home exclusively.
My children are forced to use Microsoft Office at school [I think there is some kind of bribery scheme]. They have no problem working on documents exchanged multiple times via email or USB key.

home99
Grafter

I see - thats promising  Grin
Denzil
Grafter

I use OO at home and at work. I use MS Office sometimes at work, but prefer OO. The various options are often in different places, but the basic look and layout is much the same as any other office package.
It is free, of course, so you have nothing to lose in trying it. If you don't like it, uninstall it (but give it a chance)! You might also consider Ability Office, which is a commercial product, but still much cheaper than MS.
Community Veteran

I used to be a big fan of open office, until I started using it on my iBook, I found the official x11 version and the NeoOffice distribution to be very slow and bloated, eventually I shelled out for a copy of Apple's iWork, which I am very happy with, although that will obviously not work on the PC side of things.
Overall though, if you can use M$ office then I doubt you will have any problem,  using open office it reads and writes M$ formats fine and considering it's free  I would use it over M$ office any day, but my preference is still apple's iWork.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Assos
I used to be a big fan of open office, until I started using it on my iBook, I found the official x11 version and the NeoOffice distribution to be very slow and bloated, eventually I shelled out for a copy of Apple's iWork, which I am very happy with, although that will obviously not work on the PC side of things.

I'm surprised at that - both the Linux and Windows versions work well. Of course they are bloated - it seems almost obligatory to install loads of clipart...

Community Veteran

Indeed, it was because I'd had good experiences with the Linux and Windows versions that I opted for it to begin with (well, and because it was free). The iBook, whilst using a fairly old CPU (PPC G4 - the G5's ran to hot to be used in laptops) was by no means an under powered machine.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I use open office at home exclusively.
My children are forced to use Microsoft Office at school [I think there is some kind of bribery scheme]. They have no problem working on documents exchanged multiple times via email or USB key.

your kids are allowed to use usb keys in school? woosa my old scholl would burst a blood vessel if you tried that.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Pcoventry
your kids are allowed to use usb keys in school? woosa my old scholl would burst a blood vessel if you tried that.

We were actually asked to provide one - because (I think) some of the PC's could not run Internet and simultaneous access to Sibelius (music composition software for use with a midi keyboard).
I've heard that the school has re-enabled youtube access recently...

home99
Grafter

Many thanks for your opinions.  I shall give it a go I think.
Regards
Dave
Community Veteran

My kids use USB memory sticks at school.  In fact I think the school will sell them one if they want.  Partly the reason is that all the CD drives have been removed, and modern PCs don't have floppy drives.
Apparently the kids were opening the CD drives and removing the little rubber band that was part of the eject/load mechanism, thereby preventing the CD drawer from opening and closing.  The school couldn't get replacement bands, so had to keep replacing the complete drives.  Undecided
It's amazing how inventive kids can be where mischief is concerned.  Remind me to tell the real reason for insulated pins on 13 amp plugs sometime!  Grin
John
brad
Grafter

To be honest, I don't like Open Office. Yes it's free and that is its strong point. However it does not display data correctly like MS Office does and is generally slower and less efficient than the Microsoft brand.
Now if only Microsoft made Office more affordable...
brad
Grafter

Not really as it is based on a work presentation.
But it might be just that spreadsheet which was not playing ball, either way I was not that impressed  Tongue
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

3 words for you Brad:- end user error
Cheesy
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff