Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Court.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Open Court.

Headline news this morning (at least on the BBC website) is that justice in part at least is going to be seen to be done with cameras in court... but only the judges will be filmed.

Why a door half open?

Personally I think they should be wide open for all to be seen - except maybe for the faces of those on any jury.

"Let the dog see the rabbit" as my old Dad used to say, and lets live stream our justice system. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51110206

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
27 REPLIES 27
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Open Court.

But what happens when the jury find the defendant not guilty? If they, the defendant, have been seen on TV they'll forever be tarred with the brush of "that's you know who, the one that got away with X".

But I agree about the 'half open door' for me it should be firmly shut with no cameras, just filming the Judge isn't going to make riveting TV. So what is the point.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Agree with @Mook .... a bit  of a pointless exercise.... might just as well have it "live on BBC radio 1"...

(does anyone still listen to live radio?  ) Undecided

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

I agree with @Mook  and @shutter - It will probably be just as rivetting as 'BBC Parliament' - does anyone watch that load of rubbish either?

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

But the opposite would also be true in that those that have been accused are found not guilty and their name cleared. It works both ways.

Justice is for both the innocent and the guilty and we know don't we just how reluctant the CPS is to bring cases to court unless it is watertight. 

As said, let justice be seen. 

Mook
Champion

Justice is for the innocent and the guilty, but people aren't wired that way. We all know mud sticks so even if they are found not guilty, yes their name will be cleared in the eyes of the law, but as far as the general public are concerned they'll still be seen as the one the got away.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

They most certainly do, and granted not all the time as both court and parliament must be as dry as a Dingo's donger at times but let's face it, if Meghan's case against the Mail goes to court there will be millions watching it

That OJ trial in the States was watched by an estimated 150 million.

Maybe folks prefer the imagined rather than the real and the fake rather than the truth. 😃

@Mook 

Point taken, but a door half open is unlikely to be closed and future years will see it thrown wide open and of that you can be sure.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@jab1 

They most certainly do, and granted not all the time as both court and parliament must be as dry as a Dingo's donger at times but let's face it, if Meghan's case against the Mail goes to court there will be millions watching it

I, for one, won't be one of the 'millions' - just totally disinterested.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

And maybe there's the rub, not enough people interested - and not just about Meghan either. 😞

Mook
Champion

Ah! yes, the OJ Simpson trial, regardless of what happened in the televised court room the jury is still out on that one!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@jab1 wrote:

So....you will be watching then ????

I, for one, will be one of the millions  ( that are ) - just totally disinterested. ! ! ! Cheesy

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah @Mook I agree with you say.

Problem is, there is the issue with revenge attacks if someone is found false but someone thinks otherwise. Their appearence and personal details may be disclosed and be passed around. They'll chat around where you live and you will be found guilty outside of the court even if they have ruled 'not quilty'.

If where they live is anything like my village, everyone knows your name. In fact people who I don't even know have called me "Alex" (which is my real first name as you've all quessed, as I couldn't be creative enough to think of something different 😆).

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

So....you will be watching then ????

I, for one, will be one of the millions  ( that are ) - just totally disinterested. ! ! ! Cheesy

No @shutter - I'm NOT remotely likely to watch - IF it is broadcast. I have zero interest.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Coronation Street? 

Nah, never watch it. 😉 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

As @Minivanman mentioned, the jury need to be protected, as do witnesses.  Yes, anyone interested in harming either can come to court to identify them, but we shouldn't make it easier for them by allowing them to do it from their living room.  The first time I did jury service the defendant and his mother and girlfriend travelled home on the same bus as me!  Had it been a bigger case, the defendant would have been remanded in custody, but instead of his mother and sister I might have come across his male relatives and friends who might not be very nice people.