cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Op recovery time.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Op recovery time.

I realise that most who contribute to this forum are young, fit and agile ( Cheesy ), but have any of the older ones (or even sporting types) had a knee arthroscopy? If so, how long did it take for it to recover to the point where you could use it properly? Mine's been weeks (like 12) and it's still dodgy, although the Consultant seems happy with it.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Op recovery time.

I had one of those 6 or 7 years ago. Recovery was days, not weeks. Didn't make a ha'peth of difference though. Still had to have a 'tin' knee fitted.
Recovery time for that was hours though. Walking again within 24 hours and stopped using a stick after about a week. Downside was that when the pain killers stopped, the other knee started hurting. A year later that was also replaced with a 'tin' un! Recovery time was much faster though. Didn't use a stick at all.
Doing the physio is the key. Force a 90 degree ben ASAP and you'll never regret it!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Op recovery time.

I had knee arthroscopy in 2009 aged 63 to both knees, I was advised not to drive for a few days and that maybe a wheelchair would be a good idea to leave the hospital.
In the event, I walked out of the hospital the following day, heavily swathed in dressings and bandages around the knees, I resumed driving (with doctors approval after the dressings were removed three days later, just leaving "sticking plaster" over the the the incisions.
I had much the same experience when I had major spine surgery in 2000. A plaster torso brace was cast for me, I was advised that at least 3 to 6 months off work would be necessary.
Again, in the event I never used the torso brace, I was up walking inside 48 hours (albeit carrying a catheter around with me) 24 hours later I'd walked a mile around the hospital grounds (around 100 yards was as much as I could manage before) I begged my employer to let me go back after three weeks (at home) which they did on light duties. Also with my GP's approval.
I suppose I'm very lucky, I just seem to have excellent powers of recovery, I certainly met other patients who remained bed bound weeks after surgery.
However, I think a lot of recovery is in the mind, if you want it to happen it will.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.