cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oops! What have I let myself in for?

Fixes: 238

Oops! What have I let myself in for?

Last week I agreed to help my daughter get a rescued horse from Maidstone to her stables near Herne Bay and got roped into agreeing to drive the horse box similar to the one here.

Apparently it's a 5.5 Tonne vehicle and I have never driven such beforeEmbarrassed

Any hints or tips regarding driving this would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: Oops! What have I let myself in for?

Depending on when you passed your driving test, it is likely you have the necessary C1 class - which allows you to drive a "van" up to 7.5 tonnes.

On a practical level, take it easy, try a practice down a quiet road, and use the mirrors to help judge the width, make sure you allow a bit more room on corners for the extra legnth.

When the horsey is on-board, take it easy going round corners, no sudden acceleration or braking.

Oh, and did I mention, use the mirrors to help judge the width - its not a natural thing for car drivers, but all truck drivers learn this one very early!

Thanks, @Mustrum, seems like sound advice.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

As @Mustrum says.... take your time........ one other piece of advice....

If she is travelling with you... make sure you DO NOT appear to be enjoying it.. put on a miserable face...  pull into as many lay-by`s as often as you can.. this is two fold... it gives the traffic behind you a chance to overtake you safely... and also it gives you time to recover your nerves since the previous stop..... : moan contiuously, keep saying how scared you are,... and how unsure you feel about it... 

This should negate any future trips ! ! !.. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Best advice I can offer; Don't crash... Grin

Fixes: 173

If the horse offers directions, ignore it.

They have a different agenda.

Be aware of the extra height of the vehicle if low bridges are likely to be encountered.

Horses haven't generally been trained to duck.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Mav

Alternatively, Plan B;

Hire one of these

32822703-371-640x478

Get yourself a bag of carrots and a stick

Maybe a tent if overnight roadside stops will be necessary

Bobs your uncle.  Wink

@shutter

Yep, that does sound like a plan. But my daughter says I'm miserable anyway so how will she knowCheesy

@twocvbloke

Kinda high up my list anywayWink

@Strat

My worry is if the horse veers to the left or right the van will, too!

@RobPN

One of these may be better and make some money on the waySmiley

love-goes-together-like-a-horse-and-carriage-linda-phelps.jpg

I used to call him Uncle bob till I got older and realised he was just a family friendWink

This is the horse. Filthy dirty at the moment as he had been dumped in a field a few weeks ago. It's estimated he is about a year old.

IMG-20180521-WA0002.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Mav all the better ! ! ! ! ! ..

Your veggie patch will do well next year, though !

She's now got four horses. One of which I am hoping to ride when she is old enough next year.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The most useful phrase in these circumstances is: "What part of 'No' do you not understand?"

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Yesterday was the day and I found the horse box (it was the one in the OP link) very easy to drive. In fact, it drove just like a car in most respects just needing to remember it's longer and slightly wider than my Zafira.

It took over 4 hours for 5 people (not including me) to catch the damn horse in what seemed the hottest day so far. After 2 hours I gave them a suggestion about using the horse box to 'box' the horse in between a fence with the only place to go being inside. An hour later they finally listened to me and 20 minutes later all doneRoll eyes

During the journey back I could feel the weight of the horse but driving was smooth and kept breaking to a minimum and early and speed to a max of 50. There was one point where it reared up against my daughter and her friend sitting in a separate compartment but it didn't affect the driving at all.

So after various round trips and an 8am start I finally got home around 10pm - exhausted! But was a fun day all in all.

Thanks for all the advice - most helpful.