Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oops! Great parking!

Devonian
Grafter

Oops! Great parking!

It seem's the elderly strike again.
And as I saw the driver first hand, I honestly believe she should not have been driving.
On crutches, disabled, and hardly able to walk. (no she wasn't injured)  yet the police have said it's 'just an accident'.
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Car-crashes-Paignton-shop-window/story-19869272-detail/story.h...
The problem is, this has happened 5 times this year alone in this area to my knowledge.
When you reach a certain age, or you become disabled you should need a yearly driving test.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Oops! Great parking!

I saw that on the Torquay Facebook page - we've had similar things happen up here with OAPs and shopping centers.
Devonian
Grafter

It's going to take a real tragedy before something is done about it I think.
It seem's seems the police are more worried about boy racers in deserted car parks not really hurting anybody, than they are with people who really shouldn't be driving.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
It seem's the elderly strike again.

Where does it state the woman's age in the article Undecided
Fixes: 125

I doubt anything will be done as the older generation do carry a lot of votes so any government will want to keep them sweet allowing them their independence with driving.
But I agree, something needs to be done. I worked in the claims dept of a well-known insurer that only deals with the over 50's. I was flabbergasted at the number of 'clients' I had to call over the age of 80 and even 90 that didn't seem to know what time of day it was let alone remember an accident that had a few days ago.
Should insurers catering for the elderly take some responsibility by more stringent health questions and checks?
I hope when I'm start reaching those sort of ages I have the where-with-all to stop rather than putting my own and others' lives at risk.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Where does it state the woman's age in the article Undecided

It doesn't, however I saw with my very eyes a very elderly lady, needing crutches to stand, which she had on the back seat of the car.
They hardly ever print the age when it relates to elderly drivers, because eventually people will start to demand action.
The fact she drove through a shop, indicates careless driving to me, yet it has been noted as an accident, with no further action recommended.
Now if I were the one driving, it would have been much different.
Devonian
Grafter

Well said Mav.. that deserves a 'like' if only there was one.  Wink
Everybody needs to be treated on their own merit, some people in their 80's have the reflexes of a person 30 years younger, however somebody else in there 70's, well they struggle to wake up, yet they drive a car?
That can never be right surely?
Community Veteran

Generally newspapers will always state the age of people in the articles.
The Police have an obligation to investigate each incident and decide if further action is needed.  Obviously they have decided not to pursue the issue any further in this case. They would not leave themselves open to a challenge from a member of the public who could take the matter up with the Chief Constable or the Police Commissioner.
Devonian
Grafter

In most cases in this area, and there have been many the past few years, the local rag always 'forgets' to add the age of the driver.
Every single time there is an incident such as this, the driver is never charged.
Just like today, a classic case of driving without due care and attention, a shop front destroyed, yet because the driver is an OAP there is no charges.
The Police investigate car 'accidents' which involve new teen drivers, including placing witness boards on the side of the road, the driver is arrested, and appears in court, because it is always assumed they are driving dangerously, yet when it involves older people, it's just an accident.
Community Veteran

If you're so concerned then ask your police Commissioner to investigate.  They have an obligation  to do so and are independent of the police Force. May put your mind at rest Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Probably nowt to do wit` accident..... but I thought `twas rather funny to see the ad for Part worn tyres included in the report
Community Veteran

If this happened on the store's own (private land) parking area then the Police will not get involved unless the store presses them to do so!
Whilst they breathalysed the driver, they have a duty to do so, as the driver will be presumed to have 'driven' onto the private land.
Geoff,
York.
Devonian
Grafter

It's on the side of the road.  So she drove over the pavement, obviously thinking it was a drive through.  Cheesy
And that is a good idea about the Commissioner, I'll send an email in a bit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Something similar happened here last year, an "elderly" driver REVERSED up on to the pavement and into the glass window at Tesco.
They apparently thought it was in First gear!  Crazy
Normally they have bollards to stop people doing this, but some of the spaces have none. They could have struck a pedestrian as there is a walk way round the building.
Fixes: 125

Where my mum lives there are so many elderly lady drivers of whom you can barely see their white hair over the steering wheel.
I've said this before but there seems to have been a law passed some time that stipulates elderly drivers no longer need to use their indicators Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still