cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online v paper statements

Fixes: 125

Online v paper statements

My bank regularly prompts me to change to paperless statements which I have avoided doing up to now.
Reading their T&C it seems that should I go for paperless and then request a paper copy it cannot be sent to my home address but I can register another address for this purpose!
No mention of a charge so I emailed them and got the following response:
[quote=Barclays]It is possible to add another address to your records to which duplicate paper statements will be sent.
Therefore it will be possible to add your parents address  - to arrange this please contact our Customer Service Team who will be happy to assist with your query.
Personal Customers call: 0845 7 555 555
Business Customers call: 0845 605 2345
International Customers call: +44 24 7684 2099
All available 07:00 - 23:00 (UK times) seven days a week.
If you opt for Online Statements and request a copy paper statement there will be a charge (currently £5).
I hope this information is of assistance.

With so many companies/goverment departments, etc wanting original and not your own printed copies of statements I can't see any reason to go paperless.
It's not as if you get any benefits like higher interest if you do - just saving the bank more money  Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Online v paper statements

Seems a good case to offer a financial incentive to go paperless.
itsme
Grafter

My bank is more confusing requesting a paper copy. Does the below mean that if I request a single month as a one off there will be no charge?
You won’t be charged for paper statements if you go paperless. If you regularly receive paper statements and want additional copies, we charge £5.00 per request for any number of pages.

It's not very often that one has to show an original paper copy, in fact I never have, and in the last 6 years on the 3 occasions that I have they have accepted my print outs. 

Quote from: itsme
It's not very often that one has to show an original paper copy,

Benefit Offices, Immigration (they normal want 3 to 6 months worth) and I'm sure many other places, too.
What about HMRC?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Paperless statements is a method for the bank to transfer the cost of printing statements to the client. It is part of the banks' process of reducing the service levels to their customers. The money saved is used for advertising their marketing spiel that they are the "friendly bank".
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The only time I've ever had to produce a paper statement is when I set up my mortgage.  When I changed to paperless statements a couple of years ago, it said I could get upto 3 months worth of statements a year without charge if I needed to produce originals for any reason.  I noticed the other day that during some recent changes to the interface there is now a "request a printed copy" on the bottom of each statement page.
With a different bank my wife will get charged if she wants a copy.
Phil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Mav they accept home print outs as long as its a current Dated statement or just visit a branch and ask for a mini statement print out.  Bank of Scotland does that with no charge and I am paperless
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
Seems a good case to offer a financial incentive to go paperless.

One account I have (both deposit and current) offers 0.25% higher interest on deposits if you go paperless.
Fixes: 47

I've been paperless at my bank for quite some time and don't get charged for the odd statement.
Recently I needed one for my Pension Credit application as the Pension Service doesn't accept home computer prints.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Heloman
Grafter

Although I do all my banking online, I still get monthly paper statements for a particular reason. Wife and I are well into our seventies and SWMBO is a luddite who has refused to even look at a computer screen, let alone learn how to use one!
So I have to plan everything in case I leave before she does, if you see what I mean Wink
nadger
Rising Star

I know what you mean  Smiley
Before I had major cancer op in June 2009 I moved all on line savings accounts into my current account just in case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm well impressed with my wife, she opened an online savings account so we can transfer our excess money into it electronically. She's more into Amazon and e-mail than I am although I started it and she wasn't originally in favour  Cool
and her pension is paid electonically  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra

Quote from: Gus
@Mav they accept home print outs as long as its a current Dated statement or just visit a branch and ask for a mini statement print out.  Bank of Scotland does that with no charge and I am paperless

ISTR that the mini statement print out from either the teller or the ATM wasn't acceptable when I applied for Housing Benefit.
I fail to comprehend how the banks can charge £5 for what is effectively pressing a couple of buttons and a couple of sheets of paper and second class postage.
I have paperless billing for most everything else but I also make sure at least one utility or service is sent by paper. Currently that's still Council Tax as, along with bank statements, many places require a proof of address and this also all too often has to be an original.