cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online statements

Fixes: 125

Online statements

With a filing cabinet full to the brim with statements going back up to 7 years for Utility companies, credit cards and banking I have decided to change to paperless for most (almost all) statements/bills.
I will keep my bank account as paper as so many places still request original statements for viewing as proof of income, residency, etc.
Often a recent utility bill is requested as well so I will keep the water bill as paper as that is only once every 6 months.
I had thought about  scanning all paper statements that I already have but there are so many it would take ages and I don't really have the time so am thinking to just keep them for 7 years then destroy them.
Does anyone else have any views on paper/paperless?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Online statements

Quote from: Mav
I will keep the water bill as paper as that is only once every 6 months.

I have often found that a utility bill less than 3 months old is required.
e.g. http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/service/customer-identification
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Check that if you request a paper copy it's not going to cost you.  Bank of Scotland/Halifax did a sneaky and made requesting one a £15 charge, they are not even allowed to do a screen shot print out of your account in the bank any more.
Paper less is fine until someone wants 3 bits of paper to prove who you are, then its £15 each.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017

Quote from: alanf
I have often found that a utility bill less than 3 months old is required.

Good point, thanks.
Quote from: Gus
Check that if you request a paper copy it's not going to cost you.

Barclays allows you to select which of the accounts you hold with them if you want paperless which is good as I have quite a few.
I seem to remember that they used to charge £5 for copy statements but that no longer seem to be the case but I found the following two statements in their FAQ which adds a bit of confusion:
On a joint account, can one party receive Online Statements and the other party receive paper statements?
No. If one party registers for Online Statements, paper statements will no longer be issued.
However, duplicate statements can be sent to an additional address other than the main statement address.

Will I be able to receive a duplicate paper statement if I sign up for Online Statements?
Unfortunately, the option to receive duplicate paper statements won’t be available to you if you receive your statements online. However, duplicate paper statements can be sent to a different address belonging to a solicitor or a third party on your account.

The first indicates you can have a copy sent to any address other than than the registered one whereas the second indicates you can only have them sent to a solicitor or third party named on the account. What if that third party lives at the same address Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

kmilburn
Grafter

I've not had any problem with going paperless, and if somebody wants an original copy, the one from my printer has satisfied them!
I'd definitely recommend downloading the statements to your own machine for long term storage.  I've had a few companies cease access to all information when you close the account,  some even before the final bill's been issued.

I'm in the processes at the moment of downloading all available statements from all companies that I can.

Quote from: Gus
Bank of Scotland/Halifax did a sneaky and made requesting one a £15 charge, they are not even allowed to do a screen shot print out of your account in the bank any more.

That is appalling. They are already saving on paper, ink and postage so to make such a charge is disgusting. I think even a nominal charge to cover postage is totally unacceptable.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I sling all my stuff through the ADF scanner and let it chew through it all one sheet at a time. A program i created then stores them all in a database linked to each contact / company automatically. In order for that to work i print off a header sheet for each document that has a barcode attached and my program (using a 3rd party component) reads the barcode and then determines from the database which contact the document belongs to.
That said, it still leaves me with a big pile of papers to store but at least i don't need to go through them all to find things - a quick click on the computer screen and i can find anything in seconds.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I have paperless banking with the TSB which allows me to get a paper copy if needed for free.
The first time I went for a paper statement the girl told me the cost before printing out the statement.
I told her that as I was online paperless there was no charge.
She had to check with her manager.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So.... can anyone.... especially a Bank Manager... ( If we have any on the forum )... explain to me, the difference between an "on line" statement...... and the one that is kept on the Bank Computer ? 
and when you do.... think about the reply carefully, because... the next question is..... where do the banks keep ALL their customer`s paper statements? 
In other words.... one printed by the printer in the bank, from a copy, held on the bank computer..... is no different from the one any customer can download and print at home....
as for being "accepted".. by officialdom...... I requested a visit from the local DWP rep to sort out some stuff..... and whilst in the process.. they requested a copy of the last 3 month bank statement... I duly called up the bank on my laptop... and printed one off for them... they were quite happy to accept it...       

And why not ? 
Fixes: 47

I've had home printed bank statements rejected by a government department.
I had to go to the bank and request the statement which I asked to be stamped with the bank's mark.
I could then have taken the statement home, scanned it, edited it, re-printed it and posted it off.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When (last year) applying to the local authority for a disabled persons facilities grant (turned down) the authority required three months of bank statements, they were quite happy to accept statements printed directly form my online banking.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

@shutter If the DWP agent was with you when you downloaded and printed the statement then I'm not surprised it was accepted.
As Strat pointed out some government and other places require original or certified copies Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

They were in the same room....but not actually looking over my shoulder..... they were on the opposite side of the room. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Some Utilities appear to include tiny QR Codes (pixelated bar codes) on their paper statements. I presume it is to prevent forgeries, because it is so ( Grin ) difficult to create QR codes. Otherwise you might find people using drawing software to create fake Id.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.