Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online form filling food for thought.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Online form filling food for thought.

Thought I'd share this with those who like me always assumed that half filled forms and maybe comments here and Amazon orders and such like go unrecorded if not submitted.  

'Ever half filled an online form before changing your mind and deciding you don't want to give away and personal information to a company which will use it to advertise at you until your dying day?

It turns out that even this might not be enough for them not to track you down. Software produced by a company called NaviStone can record information which users type into form fields online before they hit "submit" - meaning that even if they navigate away from the page without expressly choosing to hand over their name or email address, the site could still have captured the data.

Navistone maintains - in the light  of being found out - that it has "decided to change the system operation" so this no longer happens. Still, perhaps best not to fill in any online forms unless you're really sure'   

Private Eye 1447

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Online form filling food for thought.

That's sneaky.

(A bit) on the same lines, I remember I was ordering some hard drives over the web. I'd got to the card section where you had to put in your password, Verified by Visa, Mastercard Securecode etc. Last bit to confirm payment - a friend wanted some too so I closed the browser at the point.

I assumed the order wouldn't have gone through as I didn't enter those details. It had, as well as the new order (but I did put the details in then), so I had to call them to cancel the first order which they did. Good bug on their site that.

Fixes: 125

For those sort of forms mentioned in the OP I tend to type things out in Notepad, frequently saving, then copy/pasting to the form.

I actually started doing this due to either form time-outs or browser crashes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I would have thought though it'll make no difference?

There must be a way to capture a kind of lose focus event, so when you click onto another field it can keep what you pasted into the last.

I suppose main advantage is to save you having to type things in all over again. I'm sure we've all had it before where you click submit and get the equivalent "Page cannot be displayed" error after and wonder it the order you placed went through Roll eyes

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

If you abort your first ever US visa application on line and start again later, make sure you answer yes if asked whether you've applied before, because they'll know about the aborted attempt and class it as a previous application.