Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Home deliveries.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Online Home deliveries.

Strange how these things pop up in the news when they have just happened to you - well not quite but...

Waiting in for a delivery Saturday but as I was in the house on my own (the Mrs had popped into town) and I'm a bit Mutt and Jeff, I usually flip the security catch on the door just in case somebody 'wanders in' and I don't hear them - but not this time for some reason. 

On coming down from upstairs what should I see but a package from Amazon on our dining room table. What a cheek, and just as well the driver was honest to enough not to knick anything that might have been laying around. It could quite easily have been left in the porch which is what usually happens. Similar thing last week when on returning home after a few days away we found a package had been left outside and on top of the postbox and it was utterly soaked through from the heavy rain we'd had. Fortunately - and the delivery guy would not have known this, but the item inside the package was sealed tight in plastic. 

Could have been worse I guess and like that flat screen "must be signed for" TV from the Co-op that was just left inside the porch last year so I can only guess that these guys are only paid for successful deliveries - but at what cost to the customer? 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
19 REPLIES 19
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Online Home deliveries.

Couriers these days are mostly self-employed or freelance, so are only paid when they deliver something, so yeah, if they don't successfully deliver, they don't get paid, so to make sure they get their money they'll often find ways to deliver things, sometimes amusingly creative, others completely dumb (like placing into a wheelie bin, on bin day)...

If the courier companies actually employed their drivers rather than contract out (therefore shirking their responsibility), then delivery standards would probably be a lot better...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

...and better with Royal Mail I guess as they are directly employed and as we know, a card will be left saying your undelivered package is at the sorting office or wherever. Couriers of course do not have that option - perhaps they should.

Privatisation eh, ain't it wonderful.  

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

But it's been going on for years, remember White Arrow for the catalogue companies? I remember in the 90s coming home to a block of flats to find a suede jacket ordered by my wife hanging on the door knocker outside. Royal Mail aren't squeaky clean either. When I lived in Leeds we went away for a long weekend. Came home and found a small parcel jammed under the door handle, delivered on the Saturday, we didn't get home until the Monday!! Another time a big box was left on the doorstep, but they put our small door mat over it to cover it!!

We must have good Hermes deliveries here as they all seem to be women in family cars. A card comes through the door and we are asked to phone and arrange a re- delivery, much more sociable. 

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman You left the door open ?

thought that era had past but impressed by delivery person’s action, could have thrown it through an open window...  

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don't forget CityLink, they were a dreadful company to send packages via, most of the time they'd be "delivered", but where they were delivered was anyone's guess...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Not intentional and as said, I usually flip the security catch over.

Having said that we are quite rural and secluded around here, but then that makes us even more cautious... and paranoid. Wink

PS. Great it got delivered, but not impressed by somebody coming uninvited into my home. The guy was leaving himself wide open to any unwarranted allegations yes?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Marksfish 

Indeed it has, but it's a question of accountability as suggested by @twocvbloke - so when it happens it needs to be noted.

At least with a known courier like White Arrow it could be traced back to the driver but in my particular case I have no idea who delivered it and there is no indication on the package as to who might have - although I suppose Amazon might know. All sympathy with the delivery drivers as many work like Trojans or that blue bottomed fly, it's the system that's wrong and one that needs to be corrected. 

How many customers I wonder get on to the likes of Amazon and say "my order has not been delivered" even when it has and then get a free replacement - I know a couple of people that have, but then that's another issue. Sad  

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

On coming down from upstairs what should I see but a package from Amazon on our dining room table.

That's actually a service Amazon provides in the US!

Not something I'd use, but Amazon "Key" allows them to leave parcels inside your property or your cars "trunk". Requires Smart locks and IP Cams or a "connected" car obviously.

Me I just have stuff delivered to Amazon lockers or work, much more convenient and safer..

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Marksfish wrote:

We must have good Hermes deliveries here as they all seem to be women in family cars. A card comes through the door and we are asked to phone and arrange a re- delivery, much more sociable. 

Sociable, and convenient.... but....

do those drivers have the correct car insurance?  if they are running on the "Bog standard"  sd & p policy..... no... they do not....   and they are at risk of being stopped by the law... because they should have business use added to the policy... If stopped, and questioned in relation to the insurance, they are likely to lose the car, and find some way to get all those undelivered parcels, back home, and out to the customers..... then... they have to pay recovery costs... and have a court appearance for driving with the wrong insurance,  fine... and points on the licence... oh and they have to pay storage charges to get the car back too ! ! ! ...

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@MarksfishYes you are right! I worked for Kays & co catalogue firm in the 1970's and one customer complained because he had ordered an LP   and was out when it had been delvered. The drver had folded it in half and posted it thro the letterbox!!!FunnyCrazy3

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose the problem is that unless the item is signed for its deliver to address and the address begins at the property boundary not the letterbox.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

@Marksfish wrote:

Sociable, and convenient.... but....

do those drivers have the correct car insurance? 

Yes.

Any reputable courier requires their sub contractors to provide proof of valid insurance cover etc...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

.... the assumption being that all courier companies are reputable, which of course we know they all are.. along with their drivers. 

Not one to cast nasturtiums y'know. Wink

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

On coming down from upstairs what should I see but a package from Amazon on our dining room table. What a cheek,...

@Minivanman wrote:

PS. Great it got delivered, but not impressed by somebody coming uninvited into my home. The guy was leaving himself wide open to any unwarranted allegations yes?

@Minivanman 

Something not mentioned so far, it's common for delivery drivers these days to take a photo of where they left the package, so I wonder whether s/he did that, and if so, whether it was of your front door or your dining room?  Roll_eyes