cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online DNA Testing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Online DNA Testing

I'm curious to know if anyone else has used the services of 23andme or AncestryDNA at all? I’ve had to resubmit my test for the Ancestry site as they said they were unable to use the original sample after multiple attempts.

My brother submitted his to 23andme but as yet neither of us have had the results back so it will be interesting to compare the results where we can.

Does anyone know what level of information is supplied in response to these tests?

24 REPLIES
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Online DNA Testing

Thought about but not got round to doing anything about it (yet).

Community Veteran

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.23andme.com is not too promising.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Seems to me they are an expensive way of finding out something that from I've read is very vague, and how do we know our details are not going to be shared elsewhere. Sure they are specific to the individual, but paying to find out about a background far removed from who we are as a person seems pointless. 

We can hang our hats on a family tree, but not on this.

PS. Now this has the potential to raise some eyebrows. Ancestry are advertising "inspire your Dad with his very own story by giving the gift of DNA".

What was that old saying? 'Your father is only your father because your mother says he is!"

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Champnet
Pro

I wondered if this was "Playing with fire" if the results are not as expected..................

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm betting there's some evil genius stealing the DNA samples along the way to create a clone army of minions...Crazy

That or the postal system is just no good... Funny

Community Veteran

I've always seen this sort of thing as volunteers actually paying to build up a valuable DNA database for some unknown company to use.

John_Hull
Rising Star

My son bought me the book A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived by Adam Rutherford. i can recommend it.  He is a bit negative about all of these commercial DNA companies. As has been said, you're paying them to build up their collection of DNA samples, and in all honesty there's not much specific that they can tell you. If you're from South East England, there's a 70% chance you'll have blond hair. You probably have around 2% neanderthal DNA. You are definitely a direct lineal descendant of King Charlemagne (so am am I; so is everyone alive today who is of European descent - no big deal, you're also a direct lineal descendant of every European who was alive at the time of King Charlemagne).  Other than that, if you're English, and your family tree is English, going back two or three generations, then you're DNA is European, mostly a mix of Scandinavian, Germanic and French (probably not much Italian - the Romans didn't mix much outside their villas.)

That'll be £300 please Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Very little (unless somebody is telling super big porkies) that DNA testing could tell me much that I do not already know.

I've been researching my own family history for some time and I have yet to find any from beyond these shores on either the  paternal or the maternal side - and in some areas I've traced back over three hundred years with one lot from the hard north and the other side from the soft south. Wink

Different from here onward for my kids though as my other half and her family are from Italy - although having said that, did somebody mention the Romans, or how about a dash of Viking - we've all got a bit of that surely! Thumbs Up 

Luzern
All Star

Testing wouldn't be of much use to me now, but even if I was in my youth, I'd be very wary.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
John_Hull
Rising Star

You're right Minivanman, you can't really tell much about ethnicity from DNA, other than "European". Everyone (outside of Africa) alive today can trace their DNA back to a small population that migrated out of Africa a few thousand years ago. Some went north and west, and became Europeans (mixing in some neanderthal DNA along the way); others went north and east, to become Asian (adding DNA from a couple of other races as well).various mutations happened along the way, to create the different local looks, but our DNA is more alike than different.

As I said, as recently as Charlemagne, everyone of European descent shares the same ancestors, so 1000 years ago, your ancestors were all over Europe. (mad as that sounds).

Luzern
All Star

We're watching  a new series of Heir Hunters, Much research is done in Birth, Marriage and  Death records. Those records are from times when conventions were adhered to. I reckon that in not many decades tracing blood  lines will be very hard. (The Treasury will be pleased). And I can foresee that there will be an increased risk of consanguineal liaisons.

Perhaps then DNA testing will be very advisable. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Apologies for the delay, I'm been tied up at work, and I've got the rope burns to prove it!

An interesting article you posted @Luzern, but the same arguments can be said about the majority of online contracts. Thankfully for me I opted for the Ancestry DNA that doesn’t do the medical bits like the 23andme does.

I understand the comments regarding the building of an online DNA store, and all of what it can be used for and of course what can go wrong. For me, I’m only interesting in the genealogical side of things as you can be told (if you opt in) who you may be related to.

As no one has said outright that they’ve used this service time will tell if my (discounted) test was worth it!

As for trustpilot, I don't

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

So what 'relations' can you find by being descended from say east Europeans for example?

Little meat on those dead bones from I can see, and it's only an exercise in separating us from our money out of curiosity and some multi ethnic historical nonsense.

Don't buy into it guys and if you have, well then it's the best thing since sliced bread Wink  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook

'I've always seen this sort of thing as volunteers actually paying to build up a valuable DNA database for some unknown company to use'.

It's those same volunteers that freely give out information to fb, and then complain about it afterwards but you are right, and what crazy fool would pay?

Lots of course, and I used to be one of them Crazy2

Now this is scary and taken from this article.