cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Camera Stores - which one?

Community Veteran

Online Camera Stores - which one?

I have decided to invest in a new digital camera and was wondering if any one had any recommendations of the various online stores that sell digital cameras? The firm I used to use gave an excellent service, but it was then bought out and the service went downhill fast.
Thanks
84 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Online Camera Stores - which one?

I bought my Canon from Jessops online shop.
The price was good, the delivery was on time and Jessops have been selling photography gear since before I was born and that's a l  o  n  g time therefore they know about what they are selling unlike box shifters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
acr
Rising Star

I have always found Warehouse Express to be very competitive and give excellent service.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

Captainkirk
Grafter

I have to agree with ruslyn - Warehouse Express give excellent service - usually good prices but it pays to shop around and check if any offers are about
Tracey
Community Veteran

Bristol Cameras
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses so far.
I had a look at Warehouse Express and they were looking good until I read about their 2-3 day £15.95 delivery charge (Isle of Wight).
I have used Jessops before but usually find that their prices are higher than most. Also checked and they do not have the camera I am interested in in stock, never mind.
Now Bristol Cameras looks like a possibility....
Fixes: 47

Ebuyer is always worth a look if price is the only criterion.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

No price is not my only criterion. I prefer to deal with companies that dispatch the product within the set time scales to the price agreed. I also like to ensure the aftersales backup is as good as the original sales pitch. I have actually bought goods at a higher price, even though I new I could buy it cheaper elsewhere because the person I talked to was willing to answer questions truthfully.
gswindale
Grafter

I've used pixmania in the past with no problems
Tried buying from Warehouse Express a couple of years back - product was marked in stock when ordered, but 1 month later not despatched and therefore order cancelled and purchased from M&S instead.
Community Veteran

Aren't pixmania part of DSG these days? Also I have had a bad experience with them in the past - we were sent a used product, even though we had paid for a new one and had terrible trouble getting a refund. That was a good few years ago now though, so they may have changed for the better.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't trust Pixmania with a bargepole - as Assos says they used to do dodgy stuff with foreign goods, but even if they've stopped that and been bought out by DSG, that makes them no better, and arguably makes them worse...
I would also, for what it's worth, back up the suggestions of Jessops and Warehouse Express. I never pay Jessops' advertised prices for cameras, but you can easily find coupon codes online, and sometimes they'll do deals where they advertise they're the cheapest for cameras and if they're not they'll try to match that price etc., which, combined with the fact you can reserve stock from a local store, is very handy. Warehouse Express too are good; they're a bit scatty (I had a few problems getting a Canon camera lens looked into/repaired), but I do get the feeling that their heart's in the right place, as the staff on the phone are always very friendly and happy to be of assistance etc.
Oh, and one other recommendation: ABC Digital Cameras. I was a bit wary of using them at first as the website looked a bit cheap and some of the prices looked a little, well, too good to be true, but the service when ordering from them was second to none and, crucially, the after-sales service (when trying to get, guess what, a Canon lens repaired...) was also excellent.
So what camera are you planning on buying Spider?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you are wondering which of the people who have offered advice knows much about photography, taking a look at http://www.be3g.co.uk/ might convince you that at least one really knows what he's talking about!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Thanks Jelv. Smiley It's not particularly supposed to be a gallery full of beautiful photos - I post all of my photos to that site, including just average ones I take for the fun of the moment - but I'm glad you like them.
Community Veteran

I had a look at Pixmania and according to the website they still source goods from Europe rather than supplying the UK version.
The actual camera I am interested in is the Fujifilm FinePix S9600 (review by TrustedReviews). I originally was looking to replace my Minolta Z3 (which died over Christmas) with a similar model style, but found that they felt too small in my hands. I tried to buy locally but none of the stores have one in stock, all though they do have one on display.
ABC does look like a possibility and have just emailed them about their delivery charges and method.
acr
Rising Star

You might also like to take a look at Park Cameras who have been trading for many years from their two shops in Sussex. They are currently selling the Fuji S9600 for £209.99.
http://www.parkcameras.com/
Have used them myself a number of times and always had good service.