cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Age Verification...Is it Possible?

Strat
Fixes: 506

Online Age Verification...Is it Possible?

Snapchat is being questioned by a Select Committee regarding the effectiveness of their age verification procedure.

Snapchat has agreed that it doesn't work well.

I have to think, how can online age verification work and comply with GDPR.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

12 REPLIES 12
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Online Age Verification...Is it Possible?

The traditional method is to take the customer's credit card number, but would you trust them not to charge you anything?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Credit cards, that's the same as ebay does with knives.

Does it work? No of course not. Many like me don't have credit cards while others just use friends and parents.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Hard to see how that can be done without being linked up in some way with a government agency but perish the thought if they do,  but there again, trust no one in this age of online canoodling between organizations.

I blame Aliens and the secretive Bilderberg Group m'self, and when has David Icke ever been wrong? Roll_eyes

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I think there are two parts to this, both of which are very hard/impossible to do.

There is the verifying the age of the person who's details are being supplied. That throws up a couple of challenges in itself. If you are going to require credit card details or something like that, then I'd have thought there are a number of parents who'd let their child use their credit card/id/whatever is needed to do the checks. After all what harm could it do! (that isn't my view by the way!). You only need to see the number of children who have seen films or played games with age ratings well past their actual ages, with their parents consent. There are also likely to be a good number of children who would know how to access those credit cards/is/whatever of their parents without them knowing, especially if there was little chance of getting caught (such as needing a credit card, but no charge being made).

The second part would be ensuring that the person who is continually using that age restricted account is the actual person who was verified in the first place.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Interestingly.....nobody has come up with the idea of "fingerprint"  confirmation..... should not be too difficult to achieve... there are alreay fingerprint devices that the police use, called "Lantern".... and Touch Screens are all the rage on many devices now...

Of course, it would mean having to go and get yourself "assured" as the owner of said fingerprint, presumably at the local nick.... and then "big brother" will be able to eliminate everyone from the latest crime.... ( assuming the idiot who did it forgot his socks...... )

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

As most modern computers and phones have cameras what about face recognition ?

Not suggesting they keep a copy of your photo but there are programs that can measure the distance between parts of your face so they could soon check who you were......also voice recognition....some banks already use this in place of a password.

As for children using cards well in many cases parents should be more careful with their cards.......just as you can change your password at cash machines there should be some facility to allow you to change the 3 digit authorisation number on the back of the card, obviously the actual number on the card would not change but once changed the existing number would no longer work.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

A lot of hotels will charge a £ to your card then automatically refund it. This would then appear on the card holder’s statement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPad uses my fingerprint to authorise purchases from the Apple Store and it works seamlessly.

As for changing the 3 digit CVV code this can’t be done as it is derived from the account details so changing it would fail the verification process.

ffox
Pro

I've been looking at my fingertips and because of my age they are very nearly smooth.  Can the scanners cope with this?

This site http://www.biometric-solutions.com/fingerprint-recognition.html says "....as people age they lose collagen which makes their fingerprint harder to read and this can lead to significantly more false rejects". 

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

This is definitely an issue.

I use a Samsung Note Edge which has a fingerprint scanner. It can be very hit and miss on my thumb depending on the state of my hands. Clean & very dry make it fail. Damping (licking) the finger improves things somewhat.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

All good suggestions but heading towards chip under the skin government database scenario.

I think I would rather junk all this online stuff long before it ever came to that.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@billnotben 

Babies weighed at birth, chipped and DNA taken all in the foreseeable future.

All for our own good, the security of State... and only those parents with bad intent of something to hide will object. Am I worried? Not really as at my age I'll be "junk" m'self long before they get around to me, 

We alreally hand over additional mountains of data about ourselves and 'allow' tracking via our mobile phones without batting an eyelid, so what difference can one little tiny microchip under the skin possibly make.

Errr.  

Hang on, call coming in from that David Icke again. Roll_eyes

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.