cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Abuse

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Online Abuse

Given the tightening of rules concerning the prosecution of people for online abuse, will the Mods now be called "Sheriff"? Will there be an anonymous Krimestoppers line where we can dob people in return for a reward?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Online Abuse

maybe they'll just get renamed to "Quote Checker" Grin

i suppose you have to define what is actual "abuse".
some might say (and have done) that telling someone they are talking out their ass is abuse, but in reality it isn't.
If you went up to someone in the street and said that then it wouldn't be an arrestable offence.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Snitching on someone for Swear Filter Avoidance must be worth 250 extra "thanks" quietly added to your profile.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

When the Mods move a thread to somewhere you can't find....is that mental abuse? Roll eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Fixes: 125

Think of all the mental abuse mods go through finding posts in the wrong placeCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Pro

Ah, well, ermm yes. But that's us getting our own back. Grin

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mav  Isn`t that what Mods are there for  ? ?   If they can`t find anything in the wrong place, they have the facility to move something to the wrong place ! ! ! ! ..Grin

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Historic on line abuse example

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Rising Star

No comment, ever again.....

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

<pedant> historical </pedant>  Wink

Not young enough to know everything
tracymbuckley
Grafter

Thou has dealt me a mortal blow  o great mod in the sky  !     whom will rid us of these turbulent priests?

Pete11
Pro

tracymbuckley wrote:

....  whom will rid us of these turbulent priests?

Errmmm...superusers? Cool smiley

Luzern
Pro

198kHz wrote:

<pedant> historical </pedant>  Wink

Actaully fro my reading of the etymological dictionary, I think I'm right. Cheesy

HISTORIC
1660s, "of or belonging to history," probably a back-formation from historical, perhaps influenced
by French historique. Meaning "what is noted or celebrated in history" is from 1794.

Though both historic and historical have been used in both senses by respected authors, now the
tendency is to reserve historic for what is noted or celebrated in history; historical for what
deals with history. The earliest adjective form of the word in English was historial (late 14c.,
from Late Latin historialis), which meant "belonging to history; dealing with history; literal,
factual, authentic," and also "of historical importance" (early 15c.).

HISTORICAL

early 15c., "of or pertaining to history, conveying information from the past," with -al (1)
+ Latin historicus "of history, historical," from Greek historikos "historical; of or for inquiry,
" from historia (see history). For sense differentiation, see historic.
Meaning "narrated or mentioned in history" (as opposed to what is fiction or legend) is from 1843.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Interesting @Luzern - I interpret your extract as supporting my view - the crucial sentence being "Though both historic and historical have been used in both senses by respected authors, now the tendency is to reserve historic for what is noted or celebrated in history; historical for what deals with history."

In support, I would further cite the Cambridge English dictionary, which I presume we can agree reflects current usage

historic

important or likely to be important in history:
historic buildings
a historic day/moment
In a historic vote, the Church of England decided to allow women to become priests

historical

connected with studying or representing things from the past:
Many important historical documents were destroyed when the library was bombed.
She specializes in historical novels set in 18th-century England.
​used to describe crimes that were committed in the past:
A man was arrested as part of an investigation into allegations of historical child abuse dating back to the 1980s.

I submit, therefore, that Cheryl in Peril is an historical example, but hardly historic. I do, however appreciate the humour in citing it as an example of online abuse.  Grin

Not young enough to know everything
Luzern
Pro

NSPCC work around is to call it 

Non-recent abuse