Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One very lucky lady

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One very lucky lady

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16459489
(Bungee cord snapped above crocodile-infested waters)
Edit:- Do you think the BBC realise this is in Africa - not Asia
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: One very lucky lady

It was only a matter of time..
I said the same about Steve Irwin too. People used to laugh at me and say I was being stupid. RIP Steve.. most popular Ozzie idiot we've known.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

What you mean a matter of time? There have been deaths in the past. Hackett I believe still have 100% safety reord.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

bet she won`t be doing it again......
must have been nuts to do it in the first place.
a bit like watching them clips on "you`ve been framed"... where you think to yourself, "Surely , this guy/girl knows something is going to hurt if it goes wrong"... and it usually does. ! Cheesy
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: journeys
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16459489
(Bungee cord snapped above crocodile-infested waters)
Edit:- Do you think the BBC realise this is in Africa - not Asia

The heading for the linked page says Africa despite the link address being Asia.  I suspect that this may have been because the casualty was Australian and the interview was with an Australian TV channel. There being no Australasia section the BBC filed it under Asia.
itsme
Grafter

For those who are not familiar with Hackett http://www.ajhackett.com/ who started the craze of bungy jumping and what the New Zealand Safety council think of the operations http://www.safetycouncil.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:aj-hackett-bungy-exp...;
If I was ever stupid enough to do a jump, phobia of heights/falling, it would only be with an AJ Hackett operation.
Community Veteran

I spent many years rock climbing, mountaineering and caving with no serious injury. You'd never catch me bungee jumping where someone else is inspecting and maintaining the ropes. The operators do seem a bit careless. I was in the London docks training on a dragon boat and we were watching people bungee jumping from a cage mounted on a crane above the dock water. We saw one poor guy plunge into the dock water until he was ankle deep (head first), someone had been careless with the calculations. This article highlights the risk.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And some of you might remember the Noel Edmund's stunt where a chap died falling out of a box but attached to a bungy rope which became unclipped when it whipped back, this would not have happened if the clip used (sorry I don't know the correct name) had been the type which can be locked to prevent the gate from opening.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Carabina
screw lock is best

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for that.
I Have used them in the distant past but could not remember the name.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You should get locked up by the Italian police for that !  Cheesy Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you mean the Italian Military Police?
The Carabinieri (formally Arma dei carabinieri, "arm of carabineers" or "corps of carabiniers" is the national gendarmerie of Italy, policing both military and civilian populations, and is a branch of the armed forces.
thay have a lot of different branches, having spent a month every summer working there from 1989 to 1996 I know them well
1.1 National Police Forces
    1.1.1 Arma dei Carabinieri
    1.1.2 Guardia di Finanza
    1.1.3 Polizia di Stato
    1.1.4 Polizia Penitenziaria
    1.1.5 Corpo Forestale dello Stato
1.2 Local police forces
    1.2.1 Provincial Police
    1.2.2 Municipal Police
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: pierre_pierre
do you mean the Italian Military Police?
The Carabinieri (formally Arma dei carabinieri, "arm of carabineers" or "corps of carabiniers" is the national gendarmerie of Italy, policing both military and civilian populations, and is a branch of the armed forces.
thay have a lot of different branches, having spent a month every summer working there from 1989 to 1996 I know them well
1.1 National Police Forces
    1.1.1 Arma dei Carabinieri
    1.1.2 Guardia di Finanza
    1.1.3 Polizia di Stato
    1.1.4 Polizia Penitenziaria
    1.1.5 Corpo Forestale dello Stato
1.2 Local police forces
    1.2.1 Provincial Police
    1.2.2 Municipal Police

Shocked
Pierre.. is there anything you don't know? - I've never known such a knowledgeable person!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Carabina comes from my earlier days, nearly as bad as the Australian Lady - probably thirty years ago
At an Essex Cub Funday, I was organisng an Absailing tower, 20 ft scaffold with boards down one side
Been up there about two hours, harnesses on, two rope and off they go.
Decided time for me to have a break, hooked on the carabina to my harness without looking, half way down, my trouser belt broke, it wasnt as strong as the harness
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Pierre.. is there anything you don't know? - I've never known such a knowledgeable person!

He doesn't know much about driving.  Tongue
*signs off for the evening