Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of life's great mysteries!!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: One of life's great mysteries!!

Quote from: artmo
My doctor generally prescribes repeat medicines in the pack sizes they are supplied in. 

As an anomaly that suits none of the examples here. One of Mrs Petlew's regular anti-biotic courses is prescribed as a five day course, three times a day hence15 tablets, our pharmacist supplies them in a small bottle that she has has popped out of bubble packs of 10's because I've seen her do it, leaving her with a presumably useless part pack of 5, since opened (or returned packs of medicines) cannot be re-supplied to patients these I guess are thrown away.
Maybe NICE should look at the amount of money wasted this way, instead of penalising desperately ill patients by not supplying necessary medicines on cost grounds.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

I dont think that is correct, they cant use returned, even sealed pills. But I have often had a prescription with up to five odds cut of other strips
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
As an anomaly that suits none of the examples here. One of Mrs Petlew's regular anti-biotic courses is prescribed as a five day course, three times a day hence15 tablets, our pharmacist supplies them in a small bottle that she has has popped out of bubble packs of 10's because I've seen her do it, leaving her with a presumably useless part pack of 5, since opened (or returned packs of medicines) cannot be re-supplied to patients these I guess are thrown away.

But wouldn't the pharmacist still have the balance wrapped in the bubble pack that can be used on the next presrciption Undecided
Highlighted
Grafter

think thats what I said does happen
Highlighted
Grafter

i belive thats right artmo, if there dispensing from packs of sealed tablets they will either give you the full pack or snip off what you need and box them up in a none branded box with just the sticker on and the use the left over of that strip to make up what the next customer needs
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It is a mystery to me why the government makes (some of) us pay for prescriptions when we are contributing to a national health service via multi layer taxation.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

You may be right about bubble packs that have not left the dispensary. If you return wrongly dispensed items, as I did last Friday, that issued capsules (which Mrs P can't swallow) instead of the prescribed tablets, even though they've only got as far as my car outside and back to the chemi unopened, the pharmacist is obliged to dispose of them.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

Petlew, that is correct, even if it sounds stupid, the Pharmacist would not know if the have been interfered with
Oddball,  anyone who takes a lot of prescriptions can get a season ticket, and if a person is in a selected medical condition, they are free, likewise people on low means or elderly also free
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Oddball,  anyone who takes a lot of prescriptions can get a season ticket, and if a person is in a selected medical condition, they are free, likewise people on low means or elderly also free

So people who take a lot of prescriptions, have a medical condition, are on low means and the elderly are subsidised by the the healthy working population.
This is wrong.
Grafter

Move here to Northern Ireland then.
No prescription charges for anyone.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
How about another mystery.
There has been for some time now, seven days in a week, most of us are used to that concept by now as it has stood the test of time (subtle pun!)
But why do you suppose pharmaceutical medicine manufacturers in some cases choose to ignore this simple precept and, package some of their tablets and capsules in 8's, 10's and 12's instead of multiples of seven 7, 14, 21 or 28? Which leads to pharmacists having to cut up foil covered bubble packs to accommodate the seven day "rule" that is usually prescribed by doctors...

Would you believe that this is a debate that's been going on in the industry in one form or another since the 1950s.
Pharmacists, doctors and the pharmaceutical industry all support a move to patient packs that contain the correct number of doses for a course of treatment, in original manufacturers packaging, with appropriate labelling and patient leaflets. There is even an EU directive from 1992 that says all EU member countries should adopt this approach, but there seems to be little political will to make it happen in this country.
Most of the interested parties favour two packs sizes: a short-term pack (containing either 7 days worth of treatment, or the recommended number of doses for a course of treatment) and a long-term pack (containing 28 days worth of treatment for chronic conditions, but 30 days is also an option). However, to date, government has expressed a preference for 28 day packs only. Which means that pharmacists will have to continue to break down packs into short-term courses of treatment. There have been attempts to implement the EU directive on this basis, but they've fallen apart because it just does not meet the aims of the directive.
Pharmacists and doctors, in particular, don't like the government's 28 day pack preference because it largely defeats the idea of patient packs. When the packs are broken into smaller units, by a pharmacist, information provided with the pack (such as dosing, safety advice, expiry dates, supplier, batch numbers, etc.) is either lost, or must be transferred to the new packaging in the dispensary.
I don't know why some manufacturers produce packs of 8, 10 12, and so on. There are probably probably historical reasons relating to availability of packaging machinery. Some countries may actually require those pack sizes, so it is convenient for the manufacturer to supply them in the same sizes in the UK too. Also, the licences for some products will set limits on the size of packs. But I imagine they don't see any point in spending money to make changes until there is a national agreement on patient pack sizes.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanb
Would you believe that this is a debate that's been going on in the industry in one form or another since the 1950s.

Oddly, I find that incredibly believable...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

You'd think it might have occurred to the industry wouldn't you Undecided
Highlighted
Grafter

my Pharmacist seems to change their supplier every time I go, different shape pills, some times long and thin, others times round
Highlighted
Grafter

And there is a good chance that they all come from the same factory. The suppliers of generic medicines often source their products from a handful of large contract manufacturing companies. And furthermore, it is not unknown for the big well-known pharmaceutical companies to do some contract manufacturing as a sideline.