cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One gold medal for £5.8 million

David_W
Rising Star

One gold medal for £5.8 million

On the BBC today they pointed out that funding for the 2010 Winter Olympics was £5.8 million, of which £2.1 million went on the skeleton.  The fella from the IOC complained that £5.8 million just wasn't enough for them to win 3 medals, his actual quote being "To go from one to three medals in one Games given the level of funding was always going to be difficult."
I'm finding this hard to believe really.  We have world champions (curling) where the funding shouldn't be that much of an issue, but they failed to win a medal at all.  We've basically spent £5.8 million to be awarded 1 medal.  Poland has managed to get 4 medals (ok, none gold but still a greater haul than the UK), Latvia, a country with only 2 million people managed 2 medals (both silver).  We spent enough money to give the people of Latvia £2 each for what can only be described as a terrible result.
Without trying to take away from the achievement of the girl winning gold which was a major feat, do you feel that maybe we should have obtained at least 2 medals, or is one gold medal really worth £5million?  Is the £5m a good investment in the next winter games?  If we only come away from the next games with 2 medals, is it really justifiable to spend so much money?  Should we be putting money towards sports where it seems the most we can hope for is a top 10 place?
In other sports like football, there is major investment in buying players to build the right team with the aim to bring home trophies.  In rugby, Wales had an horrific year at the world cup, losing to Fiji after which there was a major shake-up of the team which led them to a grand-slam in the 6 nations, as well as (for a time) being arguably the best team in the northern hemisphere, should the IOC get the same sort of shake-up?  Being happy with 1 gold medal because 5 bronze just isn't good enough, is that really the attitude we want them to have?  Is it more important for us to have 1 gold medal rather than 1 silver and 2 bronze, or even 1 silver and 1 bronze, or should the focus be on getting as many medals as possible, no matter what colour?
We're investing huge sums of money into athletics which led to a fantastic result at the Chinese Olympics (and hopefully even better in 2012), we're investing huge sums of money into the winter Olympics and are happy with 1 medal?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: One gold medal for £5.8 million

Hah!... so now I understand what is happening....... each country that "wants" to hold the Olympic games, has to spend more money than the last country, to ensure they get more gold medals....
which in actual fact, don`t belong to the country.....
but to the person who won them..... Oh..... erm...
why don`t the people who want gold medals pay for their own facilities?  Why should I, who is not the least bit interested, (and a few thousand .....nay a couple of million or more... ) in gold medals, or sport of any kind have to fork out vast sums for such frivolities?....
after all,,,,, they are ONLY GAMES... for pete`s sake..... in the same context that tiddly winks or snap or snakes & ladders or spot the eddie lorry are GAMES....
Meanwhile .... there are several million people who would like a nice clean supply of fresh water..... do we see the same fervour from these "sporty " types to hand over a small amount of those millions to a "worthwhile cause".... not on your life..... (or probably the lives of the people who need clean fresh water)
David_W
Rising Star

I don't mind us funding sports, even sports I never watch and have no interest in.  I'm just not really sure of the value of spending over £5m for people to play in the snow and bring home 1 medal.  If we had brought home 2, that'll be 2.5m per medal, still high though.  In contrast the US and Canada are bringing home over 60-70 medals between them, even Australia who are world famous for their snow.... have more medals than us.
The medal winner is going to come home a hero, with awards, TV interviews etc. and probably become a Dame, but are we rewarding failure with this?  Instead of us focusing on the (admittedly good) achievement of this one individual, shouldn't we be looking at the over-all failure of team GB?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here is a point about winners and failures......
Can`t remember where I heard / saw / read this..... Nobody ever remembers who came second.....
so if all teams consisted of one ..... there would be no second to forget, and no failures... !   Cheesy
As for coming first, it isn`t the taking part that counts..... it is the winning. ....
and I may say I am doing it for Britain/UK/England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland/whichever.... but really the glory is MINE, and you`re suckers that are paying for the medals I have hanging above my fireplace........ . thanks very much.... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Don't sport generate money for local economies?
Fixes: 47

Last time I was in Whistler it didn't look in need of a cash injection. Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It's the premier resort in Canada and one of the best on the American continent.  It ranks up there with Aspen which is perhaps the best resort in the USA.
birdman
Grafter

I once saw someone wearing a T-shirt bearing the legend 'Second is the First Loser'. To me that summed-up all that is wrong with present day sport. It's 'Win at all costs', and with some competitors in some sports, that even means cheat if you have to. For someone brought up in an era when the word sport meant something altogether more 'sporting' and wholesome, the current attitude to sport is very sad. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What about the Norwegian, Marit Bjoergen, she won medals in every event she took part in.
3 golds, a silver and a Bronze
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-cross-country-skiing/athletes/marit-bjoergen_ath1002452en.html
Hobbies include house building
She did well
Community Veteran

From today's Mail on Sunday, 52 athletes, a budget of £6.5M and one medal:
Olympics
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Would be interesting to see another column on the medals table.
Cost of team.
Somebody has probably done it somewhere.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ghana - all training done after work on Milton Keynes Ski slope  - where he worked and he wasnt last either
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Would be interesting to see another column on the medals table.
Cost of team.
Somebody has probably done it somewhere.

Yep, we certainly don't seem to get the same medals as other nations for the money we spend. I guess this all goes back to the quality of training.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Whatever happened to: "Its not the winning, its the taking part" maxim.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Lurker
Grafter

It came second...