Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

One for the weather experts - Strat?

Just seen this from my local weather station
I don't remember seeing this step change in one hour before
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: One for the weather experts - Strat?

Not surprising if you also look at the wind direction and strength. You've gone from a light breeze off the land where there were clear skies overnight and frost to a good wind off the sea from a warm southerly direction.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

That's interesting.
Already the temperature is dropping and a frost is almost guaranteed for the morning Sad
Fixes: 47

I'm no expert but have to agree with jelv.
I recorded a 3.1 degree rise in the same period so I guess your area is more prone to 'extremes'.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Actually it isn't subject to extremes and the surface pressure charts didn't indicate a wind change was likely
It wasn't the fact that it rose quickly which surprised me - it was the magnitude of the change in such a short time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/station/03862/2014/11/06/DailyHistory.html ;   courtesy of WU.  Rapid temp rise earlier today, scroll down to the bottom for graphs.
Minimum tonight about 10C
Community Veteran

@nozzer, thanks for the link. just checked and you're right. Seems my fears of frost in the morning are way off the mark. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having had an "interest" in the weather, weather charts, and forecasts, from when I was  in the Navy...... ( when I had to read hours of weather reports in numerical form, for translation by the met office on board... for flying operations etc )...  ( I used to visit the met office to see what happened to my weather messages and how they were decoded)..
I have the facility at home to read weather fax pics from around the world, from the USA to JAPAN.... so, the first thing I noticed about Jim`s charts was the sudden shift of wind direction,.... and the sudden rise in temp would accompany such a drastic shift ... 
You can liken it to having a fan heater in operation...... when the heater is blowing hot air away from you, the "overall" heating temperature rise in a room would be gradual, but reverse that "wind direction" and you will soon notice the difference...
Community Veteran

I didn't realise we had such knowledgeable weather people on here. You've started an interesting thread Jim Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
I'm no expert but have to agree with jelv.
I recorded a 3.1 degree rise in the same period so I guess your area is more prone to 'extremes'.

Hurn is 4 files from the sea, you are considerably more.
The sea temperature today at Bournemouth was 15.6oC. With the overnight land temperature being below freezing, when the wind changed from the North to from the South what would have been really surprising would be if the temperature didn't rise very rapidly!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Quote from: jelv
Hurn is 4 files from the sea, you are considerably more.

About 80 miles to the nearest sea Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You guys were right. A sudden rise in temperature and at 6am this morning it is 10ºC in Essex.
Heavy rain though Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you want to see an excellent graphic of what the wind etc is doing have a look at this. Updated every six hours.
Yesterday over Bournemouth you would have seen a very slack area moving eastwards along the south coast where the wind transitioned from an almost imperceptible northerly to a strong south-westerly. This site gives lots of other parameters too. Try looking at the wind patterns at various heights (hPa).
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.79,53.82,571
Edit: Click on the word "earth" for the menu. Took me ages to figure that out!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Oh I do like that link nozzer, bookmarked  Wink
Community Veteran

@nozzer, another interesting site. Thank you.
We had a couple of hours of very heavy winds this afternoon. Wheelie bins had just been emptied and they were blowing all over the place. It's quietened down a bit now but still windy.