Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the physicists?

Highlighted
chuffchuff
Rising Star

One for the physicists?

Prior to decamping from a large metropolitan area to a rural area we lived adjacent to a small electrical sub-station. The latter did not bother us in the slightest. It was hidden behind a brick wall surrounded by trees. On a very regular basis, almost monthly I needed to change the batteries in our clocks, remote controls, weather stations and any of the other countless battery operated gizmos cluttering up our home.

I changed the brand of batteries from High Street cheapos to Philips Alkaline (purple and white), Energizer Ultimate (the silver jobbies) and the high performance German button batteries in the hope that the battery life would last longer. All to no avail; every month Mrs Chuffers gently reminded me that "nothing works accurately".

But now, here in the middle of nowhere - literally, all our batteries are lasting a phenomenal amount of time; my battery drawer is full to the brim with every conceivable battery a house generally needs.

So, was the nearby electrical sub-station in any way impairing the performance of the batteries, reducing their lifetime or was it just a case of duff batteries from a variety of suppliers?

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: One for the physicists?

By sub-station do you mean a transformer about the size of a small car, or were there exposed cables and switches. Do you know what voltage it was operating at? Anything less that a 132kV sub wouldn't give problems like that unless the shielding was up the spout and you would know about that for sure.

I would suggest that it was your battery supplier. When I was working in power stations we had lots of kit that was battery-powered (small walkie-talkies etc) and the batteries lasted as long as you would expect them to.

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Re: One for the physicists?

The sub station was about the size of a white van, lots of "switches" & aerials out the top.

But if you worked in the electrical industry I'd rather go with your explanation/suggestion.

Batteries are notoriously duff.