Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the photographers?

chuffchuff
Rising Star

One for the photographers?

I have a Canon camera - Canon EOS 700D Digital SLR Camera to be precise
and I am using a Samsung 128 GB  Class 10 card in it.
I am beginning to get washed out colours on some of the photos,
usually the first 4 or 5 are excellent but then after those the photos
look slightly over exposed.
This morning around 6:00 am I was taking some shots in the back garden,
the light was excellent yet the same thing happened after about 4 or 5 photos.
Any suggestions?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: One for the photographers?

clean the contacts..... do this by repeatedly inserting and removing the card... if possible, use a clean piece of kitchen paper, and rub the contacts on the card, after ( say ) 5 inserts...
then re-format the card, in the camera... and then check to see if it has made any difference... if not............ new card...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And if you go for a new card it might be worth trying a different make I use sandisk and have never had a problem with them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had exactly that happen to a Canon 1Ds. Turned out to be a fault with the metering electronics. In my case it was intermittent so it was difficult to reproduce to order but if yours is consistent it might be easier. Try ringing Canon's helpline.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A camera fault seems much more plausible.
I can't see the card causing the problem - it will surely either save the shot or it won't.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shutter
clean the contacts..... do this by repeatedly inserting and removing the card... if possible, use a clean piece of kitchen paper, and rub the contacts on the card, after ( say ) 5 inserts...
then re-format the card, in the camera... and then check to see if it has made any difference... if not............ new card...

is there any scientific evidence to back up your theory? or is simply a stab in the dark?
how could a fault memory card make a photo look washed out? it's either going to save the photo or it isn't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No.... I am not a scientist.... I do not have any qualifications. therefore my post was not based on scientific reasoning...... the only thing is...
It is a simple thing to do.... and  ..... I had a similar problem..where the first couple of shots would record, and then the next few would not... but they would be "showing" when the card was inserted in the laptop for downloading..... just a file number... but no pic....  . and it worked for me.... so... get your scientists to sort it out, why it worked for me...
Oh, and perhaps you could explain why the O.P entitled his post "One for photographers"... and not  " One for scientists"  ? ? ?
Community Veteran

It would be simple enough to rule out the card first as suggested.
Easiest would be try another card. I expect you have an old smaller slower card laying around. Just try it.
But this sounds more like the electronic version of the sticking shutter my old camera had.
In that case the first couple of pics were over exposed as the "stickyness" slowed the shutter down.
pwatson
Rising Star

There does seem to be a lot of straw clutching going on here...  Roll eyes  All that's missing so far is that light got into the card Smiley
Seriously, take some test shots under controlled conditions.  What is the metering telling you?  Make a note of the exposure setting or look at the EXIF data in the file to see whether the camera believes the shots to have been taken at the same exposure.  Look at the shutter speed, aperture and ISO data.
You don't say what mode you're using on the camera (Auto, P, Tv, Av, M etc) or what metering mode you're using - All useful info.  Even more useful would be to post some links to example pictures!
Community Veteran

I shall reiterate my reply no.3 above.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Seriously, take some test shots under controlled conditions.  What is the metering telling you?  Make a note of the exposure setting or look at the EXIF data in the file to see whether the camera believes the shots to have been taken at the same exposure.  Look at the shutter speed, aperture and ISO data.

Try a different lenses as the shutter is in the camera but the aperture is in the lenses.
Community Veteran

It makes sense to try the cheapest options first such as a different lens or another card, if necessary borrow one from a friend.
I Have never needed to return something to Canon but beware there can be a basic fee just for them to look at it and it would be a costly exercise to be told the camera was ok and it was the card or lens.
Bit unfair to critisize Shutter on what I think are common sense ideas
Community Veteran

No.... I am not a scientist.... I do not have any qualifications. therefore my post was not based on scientific reasoning...... the only thing is...
It is a simple thing to do.... and  ..... I had a similar problem..where the first couple of shots would record, and then the next few would not... but they would be "showing" when the card was inserted in the laptop for downloading..... just a file number... but no pic....  . and it worked for me.... so... get your scientists to sort it out, why it worked for me...
Oh, and perhaps you could explain why the O.P entitled his post "One for photographers"... and not  " One for scientists"  ? ? ?

IMO that sounds like a poke at a shadow.. but i've got to hand it to shutter, sometimes pokes at shadows turn out to be right - for reasons that are not immediately obvious.
I had a car that wouldn't start moons ago... tried everything. We knew the ignition coil was fine as the plugs were sparking.. over a year later we'd run out of ideas and changed the coil anyway. Car started instantly.
It's easy enough to rule out silly little ideas sometimes and call them rubbish but sometimes for whatever unknown reason, they turn out to be the problem. Lets face it, not going to hurt to try another card and clean the contacts in the camera. Worst case is you'll have an extra memory card.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

What about a simple 'restore factory settings'?
It's easy to adjust exposure, contrast and all kinds settings, and to forget to put then back again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

No.... I am not a scientist.... I do not have any qualifications.

no argument from me there!

that's not a similar problem at all

maybe the OP could try wiping some snake oil on the camera strap as well.
that has as much chance of fixing the problem as wiping the memory card contacts has.