Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the old skoolers: ACME

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: One for the old skoolers: ACME

Oldjim wrote:

This may not be practical but why not make a small spreader bar - this is highly diagrammatic but you get the idea

2016-08-10_150006.jpg

I did mull that over to and put it to my engineer friend but he shook his head and said not to bother with that. No idea why, it seemed like a sensible idea to me... but he's done metal work all his life so probably had his own reasons why. This guy works on tank barrels, tracks, steam engines etc... so knows a thing or two about moving heavy stuff (I hope lol)

It's not too late for me to change my mind... I might still try the spreader idea once the pillar drill turns up.

gleneagles wrote:

@7up,

Thanks for the response and photographs which make it clearer to me what the problem is.

You have your work cut out sorting that engine.

Just out of curiosity exactly what Volvo engine have you got there ? Looks more like a truck engine than a car engine.

Smiley

It's certainly a big unit but when you strip it down of the pump, alternator, exhaust, starter... it's still huge lol. The two manifolds make it look bigger than it really is but under all the external stuff it is still a pretty big lump. It's a volvo 850 engine - 2.4L 20v 5 cylinder with Aisin warner automatic 4 speed box. They're a pain to move about on the crane too as they weigh so much. I've ended up buying a 500kg trolley to dump it on and move it with... the spare engine that is going into the car is sat on it in the garage as i type.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@7up

I guess you will already have searched numerous sites regarding the Volvo 850 engine but looking on this site,

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28973

there are a lot of detailed photographs of the engine crane removing the engine but in the blurb mention is made of a 2 ton load leveler.

I have not checked if it is available in this country but could this replace your current leveler ?

Community Veteran

That guy certainly created a lot of work for himself removing that lump! I'm no expert but even i can get it out of the renault in less steps than that...although i do have to completely drain the PAS system and disconnect the pipes which he avoids. Pretty impressed how it lifts it out of the bonnet too.. can't be done on the renault

Must admit he's onto something with the axle carrier and the PAS side loop to avoid straining the head.. .but then even he goes and puts a chain on the mount thats attached to the other end of the head lol.. not quite sure what his thinking there was.

Weird thing is he's using that nice large leveller which you say is a 2T yet he's got the crane arm so far out it's max weight is 1/2 ton Shocked Anyhow that leveller isn't available on ebay uk.. the max available there is the one i have - 750kg.

I'm just going to modify the black bar and use that.. just need to decide which way to do it.. the screw directly aplied to it on one end or the way that OJ and I both figured is fool proof.. but then that introduces more chains.. and i'm a bit worried about Anne Robinson... though that could happen with the metal bar too with the bolt bracket holes drilled into it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 32

Can't you just go to your 'local' steel merchant and buy a leveller there, OK it won't be sold as a leveller just a steel bar, but what's in a name, it will serve the purpose. They may even drill it for you as well as you'd need something bigger than a Black and Decker to put the required holes in it, and I suspect at a lost less cost.

Community Veteran

The steel bar isn't the problem @Mook, I have it already... it's deciding how to use it that is the big problem. Using it as a spreader as @@Oldji has suggested or attaching the screw to one end of it, drilling two holes into it for the bracket 1/3rd in from the far end and hoping it holes.

Community Veteran

Well in the end I did it the way @OldJim suggested: