cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the musical archivists

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One for the musical archivists

I had one of those dredged memory bank moments....

During the 50's, 60's and 70's BBC radio - it would have been the Light Program and the Home Service then - quite often used to feature what if I recall was a steel guitarist who's name was something like Vat or Wat Steinhouse (could easily be the wrong spelling, but its close) He was brilliant at what he played, but I am unable to find anything related to him on the web.

If I remember, both services used to fill occasional gaps between programmes with musical interludes, that is where I think he could usually be found.

Anyone else over the age of seventy remember him? I would quite like to find any recordings if he made any.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: One for the musical archivists

The chaps name was Wout Steenhuis. There is a youtube track here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NanOQRB2r8

Hope this helps a little. Thumbs Up And by the way, I'm a young 65. Grin Not only a brilliant steel guitarist he was also very good with the old electric one too.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

@petlew Have you thought of asking the BBC archive department?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@petlew

Here you go mate..complete discography.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1041536-Wout-Steenhuis

Albums, Singles, EP's and Compilations by the man himself.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran

@Pete11 Blimey!! I not only thought I would be the only one to remember him, but never expected such a complete response... Many thanks, now where to start.

@Luzern no I hadn't, but don't need to now, but thanks anyway. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Just did an Amazon search. Its no good, I will have to dust off my turntable off from the loft as most is available, but on vinyl.

One CD collection at £207, er no I don't think so.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Vinyl can converted to cd, mp3 etc. very easily. Saves the vinyl getting scratched. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@petlew wrote:

Just did an Amazon search. Its no good, I will have to dust off my turntable off from the loft as most is available, but on vinyl.

One CD collection at £207, er no I don't think so.

Why do you need " hard copy "  ?  you can easily listen to them on your PC/Laptop/phone from YouTube...   !

And for a bit of variety.... check out "Sarah Jory"... ( and others ! ! )... some nice vids on there.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I'm only guessing but could the hard copy be wanted for the album cover artwork? My cousin collects those and I must say that some of it is impressive.

Community Veteran

@Pete11 Probably not...... as @petlew said.....  I will have to dust off my turntable off from the loft as most is available, but on vinyl.

And the cover ( being square(ish) ) made of light card, with no centre hole, won`t give out any music  ! ! ! Cheesy

Don`t think he ever made any "picture discs"  Sad

Community Veteran

Somewhere in my loft, I have an Awia full size direct drive turntable, that has strobe fine speed control, interchangeable stylus heads (and a spare new stylus) that must be since I bought it much to the disgust of my then fiance just before we were married about 45 years ago. And a very fine piece of work it is too... the turntable that is.

It has twin phono out leads, Its own power lead. I imagine it will work into the AUX input of my modern Mini HiFi.

Now just to overcome my fear of heights and ladders. 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@petlew wrote:

It has twin phono out leads, Its own power lead. I imagine it will work into the AUX input of my modern Mini HiFi.

With a bit of luck it may work as you suggest, but it may require a phono preamp  Wink.

Community Veteran

@petlew wrote:

Now just to overcome my fear of heights and ladders. 

Get someone else to go up ! ! !   Cheesy

Community Veteran

No, I braved the altitude myself and got the turntable down.

And, since at a guess its been probably close on 35 years since the last time it was powered up, it worked perfectly, the strobe speed indicator settled within seconds.

Yes, it did need a preamp, that was no problem as I already had one, not as old as the turntable but I had it before we moved in here 18 years ago, that works Ok as well. Can't remember what I used it for, but it wasn't the turntable, as the Aiwa HiFi I had then had one built it.

Who said things are not made to last these (those) days...

But however, the LP (The Shadows JigSaw) that was left on the turntable when it went into the loft has suffered the ravages of constantly changing temperatures from below and has distorted a bit out of flat, but the inner tracks play Ok.