cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for the mathematicians out there...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One for the mathematicians out there...

I know we have a couple of mathematicians who like to have a go at "impossible" theory's.
I'm an interested, fairly regular but not fanatical watcher of TV snooker, and wondered how many combinations of post-break ball layouts there are, or if indeed it is an impossible question to answer.
The professional table is 6ft x 12ft (1.8m x 3.7m)
The professional ball is 2 1/16" in diameter (52.5mm)
Which gives slightly over 2272 full sized circles on the table, but of course balls don't always conveniently come to rest exactly in a full space.
15 reds, 1 of each yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black. And of course the white.
Which are pretty much the only constants.
Lets be kind and say a player pots (unlikely but not impossible) a red off the break and competes a 147 unbroken break, 1 red will be removed at each odd numbered stroke of the cue followed by a colour on the even strokes.but this colour will be replaced on its starting spot until after all the reds are potted, after that the colours will go consecutively and not replaced.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: One for the mathematicians out there...

The number of potential ball positions is 2272^n where n = number of balls on the table. It would be elegant if the solution was 2272^n! but this isn't quite how the game is played, Google says that 36 shots are required for a max break, making the total 6.7717E+120.
However, it's been a decade since I had any formal statistics tuition and I may well be wrong Smiley ... you also need to decide whether to count the 'interim' position when the colour is replaced after being potted - my solution does not count this,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew
I know we have a couple of mathematicians who like to have a go at "impossible" theory's.
I'm an interested, fairly regular but not fanatical watcher of TV snooker,

And if you are not fanatical about it...what sort of questions would you come out with, if you were  ? ?    Sad
Community Veteran

deleted... double posted the comment, due to "waiting for plusnet"....  Undecided
Community Veteran

@shutter, Throughout my life I've been an avid collector of party pooping useless information, which apart from a brain stretching exercise for mathematicians, this is.
Oh yes, thank you Ben Trimble. Next time somebody asks that question, I shall be able provide an educated answer....
Unless someone has a better answer of course Smiley

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The mind boggles!  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

Well, the original question has me snookered, think my brain has gone to pot - I need a rest Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Give us a break Wink Wink
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
1 red will be removed at each odd numbered stroke of the cue followed by a colour on the even strokes.but this colour will be replaced on its starting spot until after all the reds are potted, after that the colours will go consecutively and not replaced.

Unless of course a 'free ball' is declared at one (or more) points in the game - which of course changes the equation a tad? Cheesy
M
Community Veteran

Right on cue with that one MauriceC.

Fixes: 125

Yep, chalk that one up.Wink
\Runs to hide behind the cushion

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still