cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One for PeterLoftus

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

One for PeterLoftus

This is a new one on me - dry cooled power station - with ambient temperatures at over 30 deg C
http://www.powerengineeringint.com/articles/2015/08/south-africa-opens-first-coal-fired-power-plant-...
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: One for PeterLoftus

Yes I've heard of air cooled condensers, assuming that's what this is, but not actually worked on one. Most recently in Saudi we were using seawater and in Pakistan evaporative cooling although the coolist water in the cycle came straight from the irrigation canal with special permissions.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Now't to do with me but dry cooled units like this are very wasteful and demand more resources to generate and as a consequence they have a larger carbon footprint per MW generated, I don't know if it does but I just hope its got carbon capture technology as well, but I doubt it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But the problem for Africa is sourcing cheap reliable electricity. Most of sub Saharan Africa is low in fossil fuels but South Africa is the exception having vast coal deposits.
African leaders would argue that the West developed their economies on the back of cheap available energy and they should be able to do the same till they catch up  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Oh yes, can't argue with that logic, after all it was coal that drove the industrial revolution and made the UK the empire it once was, so what was good enough for us...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Which is one reason why the Chinese are providing loans for Coal Fired Stations when the World Bank etc won't