cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On yer Bike!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

On yer Bike!

Documentary on BBC4 tonight about Raleigh bicycles....  looks like it might be interesting...

BBC4 Freeview channel 9   20:00 to 21:00  "Pedalling Dreams".....

Alternatively..... on "Yesterday"   Freeview 19   at same time.... Impossible Railways.... all about how to make trains go faster ...

14 REPLIES
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

Re: On yer Bike!

My Dad worked at the Nottingham factory in the 50’s & 60’s.

Guess what I got for a Christmas present one year...

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I loved cycling on my Raleigh bike. At most I could do a round 60 odd mile trip in a day and loved every second of it!

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

I had one one of these many years back

your_n54

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Now you lot are going to suffer because my current ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Fixes: 72

I had a Raleigh bike as a youngster and can remember getting some lights for it one Christmas.

I could not wait to try them out and soon set off down a street-light lit suburban road heading for the unlit country section.

I soon saw the inky blackness ahead and peddled into it as fast as I could go.

It felt like another world and a great adventure.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

We were a poor family, however, my father was a genius at making things out of rubbish,... ( I follow in his footsteps with my postings on here ! ! )..

When I was old enough to go to secondary school, I needed a bike to get there ( and home again )... so my father went to the local scrap yard, and got a frame... and two wheels.  the back wheel was really special... it had an "off centre" 3 speed gear box...  and was made by Dursley-Pederson and it was very effective.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/1909-Dursley-Pedersen-3-Speed-gears-1.jpg

When he had repainted the frame, and put all the bits and pieces on, Brakes, lights, new tyres, chain, mudguards ( remember them?  seems like modern bike makers are trying to save a few quid by leaving them off, and selling them as accessories ! ! !   Shocked    )  it was the best bike in the world, and I used to go for miles and miles and miles and miles on it...  Great memories ....

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I had a Dynamo front light, remember them? looks like you can still use them too.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Champnet wrote:

A lump of coal to put on the fire? Funny

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

That was New Years Eve when we went first footing...............

Browni
Aspiring Hero

My first proper bike (if we assume that the Raleigh Chopper is a kid's bike) was built by my Grandfather in a similar manner @shutter's was.

Started with a frame and created a touring bike with drop handlebars, 5 speed Derailleur gears and Pannier racks over the rear wheel.

We had many weekends away staying in SYHA accomodation.

As you said @shutter, great memories...

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Now you lot are going to suffer because my current ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Browni
Aspiring Hero

@Champnet wrote:

My Dad worked at the Nottingham factory in the 50’s & 60’s.

A duck.

Community Veteran

For those who missed it......   "Impossible Railways"  is repeated tonight on Freeview Ch 19 at 19:00

All about making trains run faster... and a very interesting idea updating Brunels "Atmospheric Railway"...

( don`t quite undrstand how they will do track changing, ( points ) manouvers thought ... ! ! ! )..

Fixes: 182

@Browni

I always wanted a Chopper as I child. Recent reading I seem to remember suggested they were quite dangerous.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

They were quite dangerous for boys when you came forward off the seat on to the T gear changer. Enough to bring a tear to a glass eye!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Mine was one I put together m'self back in the late 50's around a Dayton frame - not dissimilar to this one complete with those chrome front forks but with extra gears. The frame was incredibly light as well.

Happy days with many miles including a good half dozen round trips from Croydon to Brighton on the old A23 - no wonder the old knees are now knackered.

1950s_Dayton_Roadmaster_021.jpg

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.