cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the subject of voting

Community Veteran

On the subject of voting

I'm aware of a number of students who seem to be able to vote twice.  They're registered to vote, where they live at university, and also at their home addresses.  Surely that can't be right?
John
18 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: On the subject of voting

If you want to limit students to a single vote which one will you select?
1. Their current living address when going to university. Which they can be living permanently for several years.
2. Their old (parents) address where the local council could be paying university fees.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
Surely that can't be right?

It's illegal to vote twice in the General Election, but not in separate local elections.
See: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/i-have-two-homes.-can-i-register-t...
Community Veteran

@Itsme
Surely their main residence - or they can choose, but no-one should have two votes.
What students get university fees from their local councils these days? (unless you're in Scotland of course)  My son will leave uni with around £20,000 of debt (but that's a different  discussion), and have to pay his own fees.
John
Community Veteran

To vote you must be on an electoral roll.  When the registration form is filled in it must list all people at an address on a certain date.  Nobody can be at 2 addresses on that date.  In the case of a student he/she is either living at home or at their university accommodation. 
Community Veteran

I'm not arguing with you as to what the law says artmo.  I am saying that I'm aware of a number of cases, where students appear to have voted twice. (through ignorance or design)
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
When the registration form is filled in it must list all people at an address on a certain date. 

You are getting confused with the census.  Wink
Community Veteran

What about the form we fill in each year for the local authority?  It asks for all people (of voting age I think) and goes to making up the electoral roll Undecided
Fixes: 121

Having just registered myslef at a new a address and my wife for the first time the letters we received indicated that, for me, registration at my old address would be checked and then that council informed that they should remove my name from their list.
For both of us we were required to wait a short period to see if any objections were raised to our names being added.
Not sure what checks are made and where but I would imagine it was quite thorough.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To vote you must be on an electoral roll.  When the registration form is filled in it must list all people at an address on a certain date. 

I have not filld out a electoral roll for going on 17 years, but I have voted in all Elections.  Grin
Fixes: 47

As I understand it the voting cards sent out were taken from the latest update to electoral register.
When my Daughter left home we received a voting card here for her for the first year (the register hadn't been updated). After that she received it at her home address.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Quote from: Midnight
I have not filld out a electoral roll for going on 17 years, but I have voted in all Elections.   Grin

One form is sent per household so someone else may have filled it in adding your name.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I think it is a criminal offence not to fill in the form.  All households receive one.
itsme
Grafter

and I believe it's every year. I know that for the last 2 times as the details were the same I could verify it on-line.

I think it is a criminal offence not to fill in the form.  All households receive one.

The census is compulsory but, as far as I know, the electorial roll isn't. If you haven't registered you cannot vote and, possibley, find it difficult to get credit, etc.
All information pages I found seem to suggest you can or why you should register but nothing about must register.