cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-the-spot fines planned for careless driving

Fixes: 125

Ministers say motorists who tail-gate, undertake or cut others up often go unpunished and that introducing instant penalties would be more efficient.

But the Institute of Advanced Motorists said on-the-spot fines were not necessarily the right approach for careless driving because, unlike speeding, cases were often not clear-cut.
It also said their introduction could make police reluctant to enter into lengthy prosecutions even in more serious cases.

I've always maintained that it's careless and dangerous driving that causes accidents rather than simply speed but I don't think this is the way forward.
I see so many people driving with a phone to their ear, a sandwich in their hand or just plain stupidly that it's sensible to crack down but I feel giving the police powers to be judge and jury is wrong.
What do others think on this...?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

153 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: On-the-spot fines planned for careless driving

I think it's a good idea.
People will learn soon enough.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Trouble is; the chances of being caught using a phone, munching a sandwich or worse listening through headphones (which is illegal) while driving are very small, which is why you see so many doing it, the risk is small (of getting caught not the risk of causing an accident!!)
There is also talk of raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph (the speed that it seems most drive at anyway unless there's a police traffic car around) which is where I agree with Mav's OP that speed used respectfully is not dangerous in itself.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Unenforceable in areas as large as Dyfed-Powys where they have only 1200 full time officers and 25 stations to cover half of west Wales.
It'll be the same as mobile phones whilst driving, you'll see it on Idiot Drivers On Camera vol. 35 on ITV4, but you'll never know anyone it happened to.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Fixes: 125

Where I live there are a couple of schools (infants and primary) and it's amazing how many (it's usually the mothers) drive their children while chatting on their mobile.
It's at these places and times the old bill should be doing their job. What makes it seems so much worse is that when you (or they) have to swerve to avoid a collision the other driver looks at you as if it was your fault.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

last night I follow a Black and Yellow sandwich Police Volvo Estate for five mile at about 2200, was had four vehicles come towards us with the outside head light off, Action none
from Great Yeldham to A1124 on the A1017 for logger trace see below
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Plods thought they were motorbikes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Undertaking -also mentioned-  (passing on the inside) is a tricky one. Many countries actually encourage (or at least don't discourage it) this manoeuvre but, their motorists are used to it and check BOTH mirrors from time to time rather than just the offside one like most British drivers.
Like higher speeds, its not unsafe when done correctly and is sometimes (rarely) the only way to deal with the middle lane slow-hog oblivious to anything going on around him/her when the outside lane is very busy.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only way to legally pass on the inside is when you are already in that lane and the outside lane slows down, it is 100% illegal in any other situation and I am surprised that you would suggest that
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Jameseh
I think it's a good idea.
People will learn soon enough.

What...?  You mean.... people have learned not to, or stopped,  using a mobile phone whilst driving... because the police can jump on them?  HAA  HAAA  HAAAA!.  Grin
James
Grafter

So you don't think that if you got fined £100 for using a phone whilst driving, you would be less inclined to do it again?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the only way to legally pass on the inside is when you are already in that lane and the outside lane slows down, it is 100% illegal in any other situation and I am surprised that you would suggest that

Except on a roundabout.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Jameseh
So you don't think that if you got fined £100 for using a phone whilst driving, you would be less inclined to do it again?

It is a well publicised "offence"...... but people do not seem to have learned......
(I agree, those that have been caught,  "probably" won`t do it again... but they should have "learned" before being caught )
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I feel giving the police powers to be judge and jury is wrong.

This came up quite a few years ago as an idea for this and a number of other offences.
It was thrown out (effectively by government lawyers/ professional legislators) as totally impractical and the politicians had to backpedal then.
The reasons were because so many potential "crimes" were subjective and in many cases there would be no evidence either.
The added complexity would be a flood of court cases arguing against the fines on exactly that basis and also seeking compensation.
The same will probably happen this time once it's checked out in detail and the practicalities investigated. i.e. it will be quietly binned.  Lips are sealed
I note that the BBC are reporting it as if it's already in place!  Crazy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Presumably you would have the choice of paying up or taking it to a court.
Personally, I rarely carry £100. Cheesy