cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the scale of things...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On the scale of things...

After a lengthy series of low and mid-range electric kettles, all have failed fairly soon outside their guarantee period, generally I have treated them as a disposable item.
This time, I decided to go up-range and purchased a high-end Russell Hobbs glass kettle, I've had glass kettles before but not this expensive.
What has surprised me is the speed at which lime scale forms. I realise this has nothing to do with the price, brand or model of kettle, but from new, I was contemplating de-scaling it after seven days use and had done so by the fourteen day. Of course this is prompted because the scale is very obvious in a glass kettle but I wasn't expecting it quite so quickly.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: On the scale of things...

There is a simple solution to this problem.
What you do is buy whatever kettle you want from Argos and then pay £4.95 for an extended warranty for 3 years, almost certain that your kettle will give up the ghost in that time so go and get another kettle using your warranty, if they don't have the same kettle they have to refund your money so use that to get another kettle and another 3 year warranty............  Smiley
Community Veteran

Kettles never seem to last long until I bought one from Lidl's.
It was a cheapy when I bought it, probably over ten years ago, but it's still faultless.
It's the usual upright, cordless bass, stainless/plastic effort but I put its longevity down to the fact that you can't see the element. It's just flat at the bottom.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

That'll be because its german. They still build stuff to last properly over there. The UK is a consumer society and the only way to make money is to make sure people keep spending - eg replacing things.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

We've had our kettle for just over 9 years, it's a dualit one and cost around £50.
In terms of lime scale we have a water filter jug and use filtered water in and have had no lime scale built up where as before other kettles needed descaling every couple of months.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
That'll be because its german. They still build stuff to last properly over there.

My dear old Mum still has a German waffle maker she brought over after the war. Apart from changing the frayed lead it still works perfectly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You saying that has made me think..
In reality although we technically 'won' the war, we are in fact the loosers.
We've joined the EU, lost our industries, lost our manufacturing skills, lost our well made reliable goods etc.
What does Germany now have? Industry, Manufacturing skills and they make rock solid stuff.
Who really won?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

They have also re-built their villages, towns, and cities, and got much better infrastructure than we have... most of the rebuilds have been to show off the original architecture, and where that was not possible, they have done a really good job of "tidying up" after the war... making it a modern country to live in....
Community Veteran

So the next question is why ?
Clearly every country suffered after the war but Germany was left in a much worse state than us.
I Wonder if those who suffered the most never want to go through it again and to ensure that work that much harder.
I accept these are simplistic statements but what else could the reason be ?Huh
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
There is a simple solution to this problem.
What you do is buy whatever kettle you want from Argos and then pay £4.95 for an extended warranty for 3 years, almost certain that your kettle will give up the ghost in that time so go and get another kettle using your warranty, if they don't have the same kettle they have to refund your money so use that to get another kettle and another 3 year warranty............   Smiley
Or you could even buy one of those whistling kettles that can be used on a gas or Aga cooker which is likely to outlast you and be cheaper to use !
Community Veteran

We've just moved to an area where the water is hard and found that the kettle started furring up very quickly.
We:
  • Filter all the water we put in to the kettle
  • Have a kettle with a flat base element rather than the traditional old curly element
  • Have put one of those limescale control thinhs that looks like a metal pan scrubber in the kettle.
    So far the cheap Tesco's kettle has been going since January and there's no sign that it's going to fail with minimal limescale inside.
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 54

Quote from: jelv
  • Filter all the water we put in to the kettle
  • Have a kettle with a flat base element rather than the traditional old curly element
  • Have put one of those limescale control thinhs that looks like a metal pan scrubber in the kettle.
  • We have similar hard water and see the same results.
    In addition I added one of those magnet thingies to the incoming water supply which very much reduced the furring up of the shower jets
    Fixes: 47

Blessed with good soft Yorkshire water. Cool
    Customer and Forum Moderator.
    Product of the Tyrell Corporation
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 54

When I lived in an area with good soft and corrosive Yorkshire water we needed to replace the copper hot water tank every 10 years or so  Sad
    Fixes: 47

You had copper way back then Shocked
    I have been in the house 14 years and everything seems ok so far...cross fingers Undecided
    Customer and Forum Moderator.
    Product of the Tyrell Corporation