cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the march

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On the march

Four groups of soldiers are marching to Wootton Bassett to honour their comrades killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Personally I'm planning to stand to attention to as many of the squads that pass by on their route as I can.
I also think its high time a senior member of the government or royal family attended the processions at Wootton Bassett. (I think Prince Charles did in fact just once) I realise they're "unofficial" but they have caught the imagination of the public.  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: On the march

Thinking about my comment; I suppose that if a member of the government or royal family attended, it could maybe change the focus of attention from the purpose of the "event" to the senior attendee's.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Indeed, I think it's been aired elsewhere and all possible "public figures" have deliberately stayed away to avoid any issues that may arise around publicity/exploitation/diversion etc. whilst obviously stating their support.  Cool
Community Veteran

Prince Andrew I think has been to RAF Lyneham where they hold a short service after the C130/Hercules has landed. I dont think this has been more than once though.
The C130/Hercules will stop flying from Lyneham at the end of November, they are all moving to Brize Norton (its in the news, you can google to find out more about the reasons for the moves) not sure if they will still fly into Lyenham for the repatriation after that date though.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I remember reading somewhere that it was requested that no government representative attended.  This was during the Brown premiership and no doubt done as an expression of what the Services thought of the way the wars were funded.
The ceremonies are very moving and a suitable tribute to our heroes. I say leave them as they are.
Community Veteran

Yes as I said in post 2, I reflected and found what most of the others posting here to be true.
The Wootton Bassett ceremonies usually happen during the week on working days for me so I've never actually attended one, but I must admit I would like to. I don't know anybody in or has been in either war zone, but its just something I feel I would like to attend one day.
Whatever you think of the fools who dragged us into these wars, the boys (edit: and girls) at the sharp-end are only doing their jobs and, getting killed for it in unseemly (and unnecessary in my opinion) numbers.

Community Veteran

This morning Prince Harry opened the first Remembrance Field dedicated to the men and women killed in Afghanistan and planted a cross in the Royal British Legion Wootton Bassett Field of Remembrance at Lydiard Park in Wiltshire.
Remembrance Field

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If you join the army, you can expect to be sent to where people shoot at you.
You should not be surprised if you return in a body bag.

Community Veteran

Very true. I suspect though that few serving in the armed forces would disagree with you. The point of the post was to respect their, if you like fatalism. I would think that most are indoctrinated from day one of the possible outcome of joining, if they didn't already realise that.
Its also notable that in common with most forces anywhere in the world, the troops don't do it for patriotic reasons, they do it for their "mates" regiments or brothers-in-arms, hence the reason so many old soldiers get so upset at these events and ceremonies. Politicians of course completely fail to see this at all.