Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On "Safari"

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

On "Safari"

Most satisfying.

Wandering around the gardens after a rainy day, the grass glistening, the paths damp, and the gently fall of very light rain dropping down from the many trees in a light breeze.

Just after Midnight, in between Olympics events I am interested in, it's pitch black outside, illuminated only by the minimal light from the stars in the sky...

Plus a Head torch to light the way...

It's a very pleasant 15ºC, refreshing.

And the gentle plop as yet another Snail hits the ground or path, after being prised from its perch by the small squirt of Vinegar from an old weedkiller squirty bottle, set to Stun (Jet)...

Yes..... it's Snail "Safari"

Then back inside for a mug of Tea and round of Toast.

It's really nice to wander around the gardens after rain, or during a shower, in the dark !!

You get around 20 minutes before Moths and other flying insects are attracted to the Head torch.

I took in one of our hanging baskets today, like others, it did have an abundant display of Nasturtiums, but for some reason, all the flower head had disappeared, just stalks !!

It became apparent why though, there were some caterpillars in amongst the stalks.... feeding time !

We had lots of Cabbage White butterflies during the daytime..... now renamed Nasturtium White butterflies.

The Bees love the Nasturtiums, they do not trouble us at all, as they go about their buzziness.

On "Safari" around the gardens is such a pleasant experience at this time of year, daytime, or evening.

11 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: On "Safari"

Here's a question for you @Infinity and one which it sounds like you may be able to answer.

Why do I keep finding snails in my watering can? Go to use it and the little blighters get stuck up the spout!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

Earlier this year I hung a bird feeder on the apple tree as I do every year.

The feeder was in the form of a tube with a lid and contained seeds.

Every time I took down the feeder to refill it and removed the lid, the lid was packed full of snails of varying sizes.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In the case of the watering can and bird feeder copper tape will prevent them getting in.

As for plants, there is a long list of tried and tested methods for getting shut of them on numerous gardening web sites

Minivanman
Hero

Actually I was just curious as to why they found my watering such an attraction. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I always try to keep my watering can nearly overflowing which seems to keep the snails out.

Until I forget.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Found a field mouse had taken up residence in the head of one of our watering cans the other week, it wasn't pouring very well and my wife insisted it (the watering can) was making scratching noises, of course I thought she was crazy till I listened, removed the head, still nothing, disassembled head and out came a very reluctant and wet mouse that scurried away!!

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Minivanman
Hero

Smiley

Infinity
Pro

Whilst "going on Safari" I have noticed a strange "creature"

It's not a normal Slug, nor snail....

Maybe it's some sort of worm?

It seems to keeps its body hidden under the grass edge, and puts out a single long (3") very thin black tentacle.

Various locations.

But when approached, lit or squirted, the tentacle disappears extremely fast, as if it has a sprung recoil

Never seen the body, always hidden

Any ideas as to what it may be ?

Community Veteran

A one eyed slug.Smiley

Infinity
Pro

Slug Safari may have to be stepped up !!

Invasion of the cannibal slugs! They're bigger and slimier than our native breed.

Spanish Slug.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3771792/Invasion-cannibal-slugs-bigger-slimier-native-breed-...

Community Veteran

Slugs played havoc with our strawberry crop, until we discovered "slug nematodes" .

One application during May (before flowering) seems to solve the problem for the rest of the year.