cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On line shopping

Roberto0151
Grafter

On line shopping

Just for interest, at 2 pm yesterday I ordered a spare part for my electric razor from Savers U.K. ltd.  At 4 pm I got an e-mail saying it had been despatched and at 9 am today it was delivered by Royal Mail.
I suspect I could not have expected better service from anyone, especially as I couldn't find any other suplier on line to equal their price. Smiley
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: On line shopping

Yes that's good service Smiley I ordered a fitness tracker yesterday and can't wait for it to be delivered. I'm interested to see if it works satisfactorily.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

To be honest, i think online shopping these days is just a normal part of daily life. The only downside is the delivery time which is the advantage that normal shops have over online retailers.
It must be said, as much as i enjoy finding the impossible online and actually being able to get my hands on it, there is a bit of a charm being able to go to a shop like maplin and see it for real and then come home with it - even when it is more expensive.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Roberto0151
Grafter

I agree with that and I would certainly try to view first if I was buying anything significant or really expensive.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

I bought a new car on-line back in 2008, and had never driven it before hand.
Great car but did take a risk never seeing it in the flesh (Toyota Aygo). I had it for 4 years before again buying another new car on-line (Peugeot 107) so not a risk second time round.
(107 , Aygo and Citroen C1 are the same car with different lights for those who are unaware)
Community Veteran

Crikey you're brave buying an expensive new car online without seeing it first  Shocked
I've bought cars online (ebay) but only for a few hundred quid. Three of them were bought without seeing - and travelled miles to collect them. No sorry make that 4. There was another but the seller (bless him) delivered it.
Luckily i'm able to do most repairs myself now so its not as much hassle as paying someone else to do it if the car is a nail. The only things i won't do are major engine repairs (though i may have a head gasket to do soon... bugger).
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I know Royal Mail can have it's problem, but I've had next day delivery on many things - including the router from PN.
Even when I lived in North Scotland - I regularly got thingsfrom southern England  the next day by first class post - they fly first class mail around the country.
Community Veteran

Lucky git! Our router took a couple of days to come through!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had things delivered next day that were 2nd class postage, if you buy stuff early in the day, the sender's on the ball, and the RM aren't all that busy, then it happens, things progress through the system nice and speedily even when they're not meant to go that fast... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've had 2nd class things come next day and 1st class take nearer a week!
I've also had things delivered from China in less than week (and conversely over 7 weeks), and things from 30 miles away take longer.
I regularly order from Aliexpress things for <£0.50 that would be £2-3 here I am happy to wait for them to come.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I've had 2nd class things come next day and 1st class take nearer a week

I surprised these "separate" services still continue to exist.
In this day and age I feel it's no more than a not so elaborate confidence trick. An extra charge for no real visible benefit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I rarely send anything first-class, its the same postal system regardless so an increase in monetary value of the sticky label authorising transit seems wrong...
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: twocvbloke
I've had things delivered next day that were 2nd class postage, if you buy stuff early in the day,

Yes - even long distance as RM send their trucks out throughout the day. Even in Scotland got letters/small parcels from south - next day. They put second class on RM trains so the item is on Glasgow sorting office by evening.