Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Being Fifty

thejudge
Grafter

On Being Fifty

So, this is what it feels like, is it?
I spent the afternoon at my brother's house, where my sister-in-law laid on a buffet and cake for the whole family. Bedlam ensued, as most of those there present were under the age of twelve and were sugar-rushing like nobody's business. I also had my first chance to meet my new great-niece Olivia - just over a fortnight old and as cute as heck, especially as she slept nearly all afternoon. A slight shock when I saw my nearly-fifteen-years-old great nephew coming in through the door, and had a flashback moment to when his father was that age. The spit and image; spooky.
Came home and opened the small bottle of 'crafted ale' made by a brewery in Caerphilly and - such are the joys of having a low alcohol-tolerance threshold - am sitting typing this pleasingly half-[censored]. I don't think this is the time to try to assemble the new workstation chair my brother bought for me....
So far, so good.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: On Being Fifty

I would like to comment but I can't remember what it was like to be ONLY fifty
Fixes: 104

I would like to comment.. but it's somewhere in the distant future (hopefully)...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It appears that many young people today will have a further 50 years ahead of them on reaching 50.
Teds31
Grafter

OH!! to be 50 again, happy birthday. Ted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I distinctly remember that my (step) family organised a 50th surprise party at a local hotel for me (a long, long time ago!!) which I genuinely had no inkling of, complete with "police WPC" strip-a-gram, probably the most embarrassing few minutes of my life, never before have I wanted to run away from a situation so much. Don't get me wrong, had it been a stag do, it would have not been a problem, but this was a mixed event including my wife who judging from her expression didn't know anything about it either before hand. Anyway, the "copper" obviously realised that there was only so far she ought to go, and whispered in my ear that she wouldn't take it too far, although I guessed in other circumstances she would have no problem with doing so...there were also children around (well done her)
Number two step-son also tried hard (also responsible for the stripper) to break my teetotalism, by spiking my drinks, but if you don't normally drink it you may be surprised to know its quite easy to taste it, a scotch and American (untouched) lasted me till chucking out time, its what I used to drink many years before.
But a great time was had by all including me, even if I was the only one stone cold sober at the end of it.
I should say, I've never objected to other people getting or needing to get paralytic to enjoy themselves, I just neither need or want to. Twixt you and me, I don't really like the taste very much. Its not because I've never experienced it as I managed a pub for a short while, went in drinking pints of bitter, left drinking pineapple juice..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Happy Birthday Nigel Smiley  I can't remember my 50th but I like to keep a low profile about such things anyway.  Normally I'm abroad for my birthday so few people are aware of the happening.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I wish I was 50 years younger than I am today, with the knowledge and experience I have gained over the past 50 years..... WOW... what a life I would have!  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Oh dear  Undecided
50 + 50% + 2 at end of month  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I still have the moment to come, although only 2 and a bit months away  Tongue Cry
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm old enough to know how to treat a woman....... and young enough to be able to do something about it !
Fixes: 124

Congrats, Nigel.
Just a number, though. I felt no different at 50 than I did at 49 or even 30. 2 years on and still feel the same... mostly Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
with the knowledge and experience I have gained over the past 50 years..... WOW... what a life I would have!  Cheesy

It's a topic we often debate "down t'pub"  Cool
The general conclusion however is that half the fun (maybe even more) of being young is "the process of discovery" and that knowing it all already would just not be the same...  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Would not want my time over again, quite happy in general with the way things have worked out but things are a lot harder these days so the opportunities I had all those years ago would not exist now, in short I guess I would be one of the many unemployed and I doubt years of experience would land me a job.