cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Olympics

How about a "meaningful" discussion ref: the 2012 London Olympics.
f'instance, would, for the middle distance runners (800 mtrs and above) the times be faster if the track was straight rather than that oval shape, the relay's could be included in this as well. Think of the advantages, a 10'000 mtr track could be built, and then converted to a road after everybody has gone home, leaving the desolate wilderness that the area will no doubt become otherwise.
We could also discuss the projects costs...and how well they're being handled!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
23 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Olympics

I think that an oval track becomes less of an issue the faster than the race is. For the 200 & 400m, I think a straight track would produce quicker results, but I reckon that for the longer distances, it wouldn't make any difference as your speed would remain a constant whilst going round the bends.
nadger
Rising Star

We were sat at table, in France, with some French friends when the announcement was made, on TV,  that London had got 2012 games.
Must admit I thought Paris was going to win and said so to our friends.
Omer's reaction was that we could have it as it meant our tax payers would be paying and not him.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Quote from: nadger
Omer's reaction was that we could have it as it meant our tax payers would be paying and not him.
And he was right wasn't he
nadger
Rising Star

Sixty years ago, this summer,  I used to cycle up to Wembley and watch the training - bet that Olympics cost a pittance by comparison.
Used to really have a laugh watching Harold Whitlock out training - walkers have a very strange action and his lads, who I knew, used to cycle along beside him.
Community Veteran

The cost has already increased on a number of occasions and I dread to think of the final bill.  Think what else could have been done with the sort od money we are spending.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Can you remember where the last Olympics were held?  or the one before that?  or the one before that?
Did the amount of money spent on them really make any difference to the well being of the 99.8% of the population of those countries?  I think not.... Yet "we" still insist in trying to "outdo" the previous countries efforts to impress, on the assumption that "the country and the economy" will be better for it. Which brings to mind the enormous mind boggling amount spent on the "new year celebrations" by burning money, and creating enormous amounts fo toxic smoke..... once again, just to show off, and say "we did it better than you"...
Personally, I don`t give a "fig" if someone can run/jump/swim/chuck heavy weights/etc.,  better, or faster than they did last time....
Oh! forgot to explain the .2% who would benefit..... the "sporty" types who take part.......
brad
Grafter

I just think that the current logo is a complete waste of money and they should have stayed with the previous logo they used to actually win the event.
I'm looking forward to it, would be good to see some events in this country.
greyposter
Grafter

I'll have to watch it on tv unless I win the lottery.
Community Veteran

A town near me, Brentwood in Essex, was to have hosted the Olympic Mountain Biking event but it has now been cancelled.  Inspectors said the proposed course was  not demanding enough and another site had to be found.  Essex is still keen to host an Olympic event and have suggested alternative sites including North Weald.
greyposter
Grafter

Snowdon or the Pennines would be an alternative.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How high is the highest mountain in essex then?  Cool Roll eyes Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
How high is the highest mountain in essex then?  Cool Roll eyes Cool

About 3'6" I guess  Grin  The idea originally was to construct a suitable course. North Weald is an old airfield so is absolutely flat. Having said that some scenes 'Private Ryan' were filmed there and it was also the location for 'The Crystal Maze' so I guess something could be done with it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Strangely The Highest part of Essex is on a Plateau alongside the M11 It doesnt look that high, well it isnt I suppose 139 Metre, other people say  Danbury which looks like a Hill 107M, or Langdon Hills, Basildon at 118M, South Weald is only 102 And Havering Park 105 
So yes pretty flat
Have to get digging 
Community Veteran

Thanks for that info Pierre.  You're much more up on our county than I am.