Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics: Child singer revealed as fake

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Olympics: Child singer revealed as fake

Yang Peiyi was replaced by Lin Miaoke who mimed "Ode to the Motherland" as her face was "not suitable" for the Olympics opening ceremony...
See http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china1

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Olympics: Child singer revealed as fake

I don't see what the fuss is about. I watched it and it was obvious that she both was and should be miming.
To ask a very young child to perform flawlessly in such a situation is a big risk, so of course you don't get them to sing live.
geewizz
Grafter

I'll be suing for damages. I'm traumatised by the revelation.
Community Veteran

I always knew you led a really sheltered life; your posting history displays that clearly, and your sensitivity to such betrayals Cheesy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: geewizz
I'll be suing for damages. I'm traumatised by the revelation.

Prepare to be traumatised some more!
Some of the fireworks were "mimed" by the Chinese  Grin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china

geewizz
Grafter

Fortunately I hadn't seen the fireworks. I don't feel cheated by that one. Good article though.
Fixes: 47

China had the resources both financial and human to put on such a display. I thought it was exceptional.
I still preferred the Millennium fireworks display and still believe, in my childlike innocence, that they were all real. 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Apparently it was all done on computers;
I find this even more impressive than actual fireworks. I mean, anybody can light the blue touchpaper and stand back, but to pile enough monitors up to be high enough to look like fireworks, and then multiplex an animation of fireworks in the night sky across said machines - that takes true genius.
And the girl... she's fake?!?!?!?oneeleventyone!!OMG!ZOMG!?
Animatronics have come a long way since Jaws (Jaws II Jaws III etc.)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I still preferred the Millennium fireworks display and still believe, in my childlike innocence, that they were all real. 

My personal favourites were the Queens' Silver Jubilee in London, from barges in the Thames.
Mad though it may seem, as we lived in Central London at the time (with residents parking in Westminster) we drove down to the embankment to watch - a bit busy but doable.
When some of the really big mortars went off it was like a giant fist thumping on the car roof. I think this was before the PC brigade started worrying about H&S so they had gone totally overboard on the big bangs at low level.  Crazy
And all totally real!