Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics 2012 bill tops £12 billion

annerimmington
Grafter

Olympics 2012 bill tops £12 billion

http://news.sky.com/home/london-olympics/article/16156780

Obscene amount of money in these times of austerity.    12,000 police on duty on any one day (god help anyone reporting a crime during the Games
The £12bn cost of the Olympics, calculated by Sky, does not include extra counter-terrorism funding of £1.131bn being allocated to the police despite a ministerial statement saying "much of this capacity will be devoted to the Olympics in 2012".
Nor does it include the £4.4bn budgets of the security and intelligence services.
It also does not take into account the opportunity cost of having the majority of the UK police force working on the Games instead of fighting crime elsewhere.

Will the lasting benefits (if any) justify the huge amount spent - I can`t see it to be honest - other host countries in previous years haven`t benefitted so why should we.    Am I the only one who won`t be the least bit interested in watching any of it ?
50 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Olympics 2012 bill tops £12 billion

Wasn't it lucky that we "won" the right to host the Olympics.
I still wonder did we win or did, behind the scenes, every other country say no thanks and no way. All that bribe money changing hands for the promise of please don't vote for us.
The modern Olympics, a chance to watch professional athletes dash around. Another ridiculous bill for the tax payer. Another terrorist target. Another open door invite for illegal immigrants.
No you're not the only one with little interest in watching the Olympics, though I did like watching when it was a much more amateur affair.

Community Veteran

Just trying to think of some professional athletes that will be representing us in the Olympics Undecided
Fixes: 47

I hope there's no surprise being expressed here as these things are quite normal.
When London bid for the Games seven years ago the predicted cost of staging the Olympics and Paralympics was put at £2.37bn.

Something like 5 x over original estimate seems quite reasonable for such projects. Roll eyes

Please note I haven't said £12 billion is a reasonable amount to spend on a sporting event.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not only is this a scandalous waste of public money but many people in London will be made to suffer due to the increase on transport services.
How can we be spending money like this whilst at the same time deny treatment to people because it's too expensive. 
itsme
Grafter

How much money will come from the public purse?
Community Veteran

I was not in favour of us bidding for the Olympics but we've reached the point of no return so I now feel we need to make the best of it.

Community Veteran

Only 2 recent Olympics, Montreal and LA have produced a profit so it will be interesting to see what London does, especially with the backdrop of a recession to cope with.  One major benefit will be the revitalisation of London's East End which possibly would not have been achieved any other way.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
professional athletes

When I use the word amateur athlete I mean it as it was originally. Someone financing their athletic career from the labours of their regular job.
I know definitions have conveniently blurred somewhat but i consider an athlete a professional when they are making very good money out of it no matter where the money comes from. 
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..............................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Both the OH and I have never supported it either. That money could of been put to far better use.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: itsme
How much money will come from the public purse?

Mostly from the poor London residents Council Tax + cutbacks and redundancies and Library closures etc.

annerimmington
Grafter

Ah, but Lord Coe reckons everyone wil benefit  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They send emails asking for volunteers.
They won't pay your travelling expenses and you are likely standing in central London directing clueless tourists.
So you don't even get to see any of the dafter events.
I believe the main offer is a piece of junk food from McDonalds (they are corporate sponsors).
I shall watch it on television.

Community Veteran

I have a friend who will be appearing in the opening ceremony.  She has been to 2 rehearsals so far.
Also 2 other friends have been offered jobs as stewards.  One will be going to the cycling events which is close to where she lives.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is that Track(Stratford) or Mountan(Hadleigh), or the road?