cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympic opening ceremony

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Olympic opening ceremony

It would be good to get a comment from somebody who was there. But for me the television spectacle seemed disjointed, over-long and maybe indecipherable for many nations who hopefully had a running commentary in their own languages. And, in the first hour or so very little to do with Olympic sport.
But though, I thought the actual flame lighting ceremony was brilliant, well thought out, poignant and quite spectacular, the best I've ever seen.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Olympic opening ceremony

Danny Boyle gave us a spectacular opening to the games.  I know what you mean about it being disjointed though.  Paul McCartney was a poor finish to the show.  Seemed out of tune at times.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm quite willing to believe it was the nature of the television coverage that left a feeling of being slightly cobbled together, hence my comment that someone in the arena may have had a completely different overall view. Still not sure what the cycling birds were supposed to represent.
Did notice that HMQ was surreptitiously looking at her watch. Wills looked fed up (but then he sometimes does when Harry dominates the time with Kate)
And, I could be wrong, but wasn't that a salute in bad taste during the entry of the German team by one of the invited guests?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Saw this morning some of the TV presenters said the same thing, some things were done just for the TV viewers, and also as the TV camera switched close-up  shots at times the TV viewer could not see the whole stadium and the context of what was going on around, so Yes the TV coverage did seem odd at times.
However, as a TV viewer, I do think the Opening Ceremony was a success and Danny Boyle created something he and we should be proud of. I confess to laughing really quite hard when it panned to show Mr Bean at his Bontempi organ. And a very good twist to have the cauldron lit by the possible athletic stars of the future.
Maybe it could have had Beck's at the helm of the Gloriana though, it could have been a hydrofoil I think.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

In general there has been universal acclaim for the ceremony.  There were the very few negative comments but that's to be expected.
Technically it was a brilliant success and I guess it will be Sir Danny in the next Honours List Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

It was pretty good, who is ever going to forget James Bond going to the Queen (the actual, real Queen) before eventually the two of them parachuting into the stadium?  No country will ever be able to top that one image.
kdoug007
Grafter

WHAT  A  LOT  OF  MOANERS....IS  THERE  NO PLEASING  ANYONE 
    it  was  spectacular,, amazing,,, the  costums.  the  dancing...  the  music..
thousands  of  volanteers....danel  craig/queen.....
  the  abide with me  at the  end  was  emotional...
  and  the  athletes at the  end  in there  stunning  outfits...
  it  was  fantastic...
Community Veteran

Have you read this thread?  Whilst there have been a few comments critisising the ceremony I think most of us agree it was a great event.
Also it should be mentioned that the transport system coped very well with everybody getting to and from the venue with minimal delay. The only negative comment I saw was that the first Javelin train from Central London to Stratford was 3 minutes late in leaving as the driver didn't turn up. It took less than 7 minutes to get to Stratford.
Fixes: 47

Yep The Queen and James Bond skydiving had to be a vote winner...."after you Your Majesty" Grin
I thought the whole event was spectacular, the huge smoking chimneys, the birds ending with a tribute to ET Wink and the lighting of the cauldron.
I also thought McCartney's performance was poor.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I missed the queen and bond thing on TV so watched it on youtube and it must be said, no other country will ever match that for sheer brilliance.
I'm not a fan of the queen myself but it has to be said, it really was brilliant of her to actually act in a TV sketch for the benefit and of the nation and entertainment of the world. At one time the very thought of it was unreal but she's just made a point that now we're in the 21st century anything is possible. If you told me 5 years ago the real queen would play herself in a sketch with bond I would never have believed she'd get off her 'throne' to consider it but it really happened - the queen herself! I still can't quite believe it! (Oh and yes I know it wasn't really her in the helicopter)
Not a fan of the olympic games but the part of the ceremony I did watch really was very good it must be said. For once I actually think the government did us all proud.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I must look at the opening sequence in slow-mo as I am sure that there was much to see and I was getting dizzy racing down the Thames at that rate. I did catch a flying pig over Battersea Power Station  presumably a reference to all the grand plans that have been made for the site over the years.
The commentators said how much the Queen had enjoyed the evening. If that was the case the the director must have shown her only during odd moments of grumpiness and none of the happy times! Even the declaration of The Games open seemed to be a chore.
The idea of a sing-along with McCartney at the end seemed a good one but badly executed. At the start there were two sections singing out of step with one another. I wondered if there was a track that he was supposed to sing along with (not actually miming but enhanced by) that was soon turned off exposing an awful singing voice.
I didn't care for the cameras cutting away from the parade to show shots of Team GB waiting to enter. Very disrespectful to those already parading. There was going to be plenty of time to see Team GB when its time came.
I thought that the main event was spectacular and I think Danny Boyle and the technicians and participants did a great job. I also enjoyed the humour.
I noted that a number of countries, and I don't mean members of the Commonwealth, waved British flags as well as their own.  Nice to know someone likes us!
Quote from: Petlew
Still not sure what the cycling birds were supposed to represent.

The TV commentary said a symbolic representation of the release of the doves of peace. Presumably there would have been complaints if real doves had been released shortly before the fireworks!

Community Veteran

The other group of people that got universal credit for a job well done was our Armed Forces.  Everybody who observed them were full of praise Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I am not a sports fan but was well impressed by the opening, it was well thought out and must have taken a lot of planning.
Must admit that Paul M did not sound too good at the end but no matter, that was a minor detail and those taking part or involved in any other way did us proud.
Steve
Pro

I really really really enjoyed the opening ceremony, Amazing music to go with what was going on and the stuff they done just for us TV viewers was brilliant, Wish I was there, It would of blown me away even more, One of the best spectacles I have seen In a very long time. Even brought pride and tears to my eyes. And the queen and bond just was brilliant.
kdoug007
Grafter

well i think  most in the  media, said pauls  voice has  gone......for  singing...
 but  who  could  they have  had  to replace him..
 the  spice  girls ( oops    victoria  is  in one  of her  moods)..
  englebert  humperdink!!!
 or    how  about  jimmy  carr! ....
apart  from that   bit  ,, it  was  fab,,,especially the  torch  lights  at the end