cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympic Brand Protection

Fixes: 47

Olympic Brand Protection

I noticed in the recent service status notification this line....
The majority of this capacity is planned to cover the increase in traffic due to the upcoming sport events.
I could quite believe that the reference to sport events rather than a specific event namely the Olympics was because of the tight restrictions in place on all associated 'marks'
http://www.london2012.com/about-us/our-brand/using-the-brand/#what%20are%20protected%20games%20marks
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
18 REPLIES
GrahamC
Grafter

Re: Olympic Brand Protection

Perhaps this explains why interest is lower in the regions compared to London itself. After watching the torch relay a number of times over the last couple of months it's quite obvious when comparing the level of street decoration.
The only reason I know the London Olympiad is about to start is via the TV and Internet. There is no sign of the British/London Olympics locally.
Community Veteran

I think LOCOG have been a little severe in the way they have protected the official sponsors.

Small shops and markets around the Olympic village would love to cash in on the games but are not allowed to.
Fixes: 105

Living 5 minutes away from one of the Stadiums in use I'm fed up with all the 'London 2012' branding when I'm not even in London.
There are currently bin bags covering any sinage that isn't paying the IOC vast sums of cash which looks a little daft and I'm dreading the traffic for the next few weeks.
Though looking at the ticket sales for the football, maybe I shouldn't be too worried..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
I think LOCOG have been a little severe in the way they have protected the official sponsors.

@artmo:- Have to agree with you, the Olympics should be for the benefit of all.
Community Veteran

This seemed appropriate  Wink
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Around Stratford shops and businesses are totally  lacking in any effort to join in the celebrations for fear of heavy fines.  I think Boris had the right idea when he said in London Trading Standards would not be taking action action against anyone infringing the rules.

Well there are patrols out looking for infringements.

There are ways round it though...
Community Veteran

Yes I know and i think that's why Boris made his statement in the hope of stopping them. What harm can be done by a baker hanging 5  bagels in his shop window or a butcher doing the same with sausages Undecided Undecided
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The Hungarian Grand Prix is this weekend, we're expecting a big surge in demand Smiley

I expect the appearance of the Olympic torch live on EastEnders placed quite a demand on resources also. Smiley
Community Veteran

Please don't believe everything you read in the papers.  I know quite a few Trading Standards Officers who will be working over the next couple of weeks, and I know they'll know when to take a sensible approach.
Imagine the phone call: Lady, "Hello. I want to make cakes for my local school fete and put Olympic rings in icing on them. Is that allowed?": TSO, "Well technically it's an offence, but ...", becomes a shock horror headline, "GRANDMOTHER THREATENED WITH PROSECUTION FOR MAKING CAKES FOR SCHOOL FETE!"
The people that my colleagues will be looking for (I'm sure) are the ones who make loads of money from selling shoddy, over-priced (and sometimes dangerous) tat to tourists, and will rip off just about anything to make a few more quid. (Not to mention being offences under the Really Tacky Regulations of 1684   Smiley )
I often wonder why it is that nobody trusts newspapers, unless they're slagging off some poor public sector worker, then they're as honest as the day is long!
Community Veteran

A few years ago a similar brand protection was enforced at Wimbledon.  BT were not sponsors of the championships so they had staff outside the gates giving away really nice golf umbrellas. We were not allowed to take these into the grounds and they were confiscated by security staff.  The reason given was that if it rained and everyone used their BT umbrellas on the courts they would get a load of free publicity on TV.
They were such nice umbrellas I told them to store my umbrella and I would collect it on the way out.  Problem solved Smiley