cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympic Army?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Olympic Army?

As I understood it, the use of the Army in the Civilian population in peace time britain was unlawful due to some statute. An old colleague of mine explained it to me years ago when I questioned why the government never use them to reinforce the police during riots etc.
So, if they're not supposed to be used, how is it that they're being used for the Olympics?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
27 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Olympic Army?

terrorism. ask anything else and you will hauled away. and possibly shot Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think maybe Soldiers are being used because they already have security clearance, no sinister military motive.
But of course they do have the knowledge and skills  if required to use it.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: dvorak
terrorism.
Ah yes, The governments answer for everything nowadays.
Community Veteran

This has happened due to the complaints of some people about the missle launch locations, this now allows them to inconspicously use the 50mm canons as starting pistols.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
As I understood it, the use of the Army in the Civilian population in peace time britain was unlawful due to some statute.

Not so. In the Services it is known as "Aid to the Civil Power" but it requires Governmental authority.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aid_to_the_civil_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Aid_to_the_Civil_Authorities
Community Veteran

The Army has helped the civilian population for many years in various roles.  Whenever the Fire Brigade has been on strike the Army has driven the green goddesses.
Each year at Wimbledon the Armed Services provide all Marshalling services on the show courts.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They can hold the next games in Afghanistan, to save flying thousands of soldiers and associated weaponry to this celebration of peace and athletic endeavour.

David_W
Rising Star

What I'd like to know is what is going to happen to G4S.  They got paid a fortune to provide security (and I use the word liberally when concerning G4S) and after 7 years worth of preparation failed miserably so required the army to intervene (who, as a reward, will probably lose their job sometime soon).
I used to work for Securicor as a guard (before it merged to G4S) and, it's a nightmare of a company to work for.  Another guard at the place I worked had to close the gates for the weekend, the gates are next to a lot of bushes which had not been cut so the gates wouldn't just shut they had to be really pulled, on one occasion (because of the bushes) the gate smashed into his head causing a fair bit of bleeding to occur, it was wrote in the log book (a legal document that the guards write activity into, it can be used in a court of law as evidence), not long after someone came and cut the bushes and the log book was replaced with a new one, no injury lawyers for you!  If you point out obvious safety issues to one of the managers (as I did) nothing happens.
I was working in Bristol at the time and wanted to move back to Cornwall, Securicor should allow you to transfer after you've been with them a set amount of time, I rang up my managers and asked for a transfer form only to be told "oh, we've run out of them", so I phoned up the south west branch who was very helpful but couldn't send me one and who told the people in Bristol who then phoned me up and told me off for asking them for a form!  In the end I quit after being put in a position where the chef burst into my "shed" and started having a right go at me, there was a rule that no cars were allowed in unless they were visitors picking up parcels or were on a list of allowed vehicles, the chef wanted his g/f to park in the site and I wouldn't allow it (I'm the one that gets told off if I allow it to happen) so after coming in, shouting, swearing etc. he goes off into the building and gets a manager to allow the car in, what's the point of having the rule if you can just go to a manager to get it ignored?  Of course, I did tell the secretary of the boss who then told the boss because she didn't actually like the chef.
Community Veteran

G4S is not contracted by the government but by LOCOG.  They said yesterday that there are penalty clauses built into the contract which will be used.
G4S do a very large amount of security work for a number of government departments and this is also being looked into.
They should also be made to pay for all the additional costs incurred by our troops.
Community Veteran

G4S has announced they will pay all costs involved in this debacle. They say the figure could be around £50m.
GrahamC
Grafter

50m is the loss they are expecting to make on the contract, or rather 50m less profit.
The pro-rata cost for 3500 of 13700 at 285m would be in excess of 72m, without any extra penalties.
Something doesn't add up  Angry
Community Veteran

I'm sure you'll understand it after the CEO is before the Select Committee on Tuesday Wink
GrahamC
Grafter

I have no knowledge of that  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was under the impression (originally) G4S was contracted by LOCOG to supply 2000 security guards.