cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oligarchs

PitchBlack
Grafter

Oligarchs

I have just seen that it has been announced there will now, finally, be a public enquiry into Litvinenko, and how he was poisoned by polonium-210 allegedly by Russian agents. This in my opinion has been too long in coming, I think it was despicable what Putin did to the oligarchs, (Abramovich excluded).
15 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Oligarchs

Despicable because he let them steal wealth from the state and get away with it or because he pursued some of them to their graves?
i disagree about the need for an inquiry into his death now, its just another excuse to give yet another judge a huge pile of cash  so that the public can be told a former spy was assassinated by agents of his former country and they managed to avoid capture for their crimes committed on British soil, perhaps if one had been conducted at the time then it might of been possible to identify the perpetrator(s) and maybe even hold them accountable but this late in the day its far more of a political escapade than about justice
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PitchBlack
Grafter

Can someone ban this fool ?
nanotm
Pro

You have a problem with the question or the opinion that came after it?
PitchBlack
Grafter

Neither, I have a problem with you, I can't work out if you are a troll, or someone with no grasp of facts.
TORPC
Grafter

Lets all take a back step, shall we
I suggest a trip to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129561.0.html & http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129380.0.html
Take deep breaths & relax
nanotm
Pro

the inquest into Litvinenko's death should have been thorough and not speculative and produced a result, it should have been conducted much closer to the time of death and covered all the facts, the failings of the previous administration in insisting that was done ensured a cover-up was performed and anything now will be purely speculative and long winded based on prior proven bad acts by the Russian state which to me means its just going to generate a lot of wasted public money so that at some point in the future a report will be published pointing the finger at someone who is either deceased or incarcerated overseas and of Russian heritage.
that's not what I would call justice its just another muck raking exercise and its been announced purely to re-iterate the political stance that Putin and Russia are bad for the west, no doubt there will be similar announcements in other parts of the globe in the coming weeks /months also to investigate claims of the Russian state doing bad things to people on foreign soil again to augment the political movement that Russia should be sanctioned, its tantamount to indoctrinating the masses through misleading "facts" into believing that everything Russian is thus bad and should be shunned at every opportunity (something Russian state media has done to the Russian people about the west since the start of the cold war) I thought we were supposed to be better than that not exactly the same !
Thunderclap
Grafter

Finally an inquest? Maybe Petit Putin has upset someone? Can't think who though.
nanotm
Pro

no the inquest returned a verdict of murder last year, but didn't answer any of the questions over the circumstances of that crime, now the same judge will chair a public inquiry into the matter bbc news has a story about it, but its all totally pointless when the Russians already admitted there man did it and told the home office to go take a running jump they were under no circumstances going to allow the individual to be extradited
Thunderclap
Grafter

But if the Russians will not extradict a state agent who was under orders to carry a radiologcal terror attack on the streets of London, what then, more sanctions? It's all brinkmanship.
nanotm
Pro

sure but why waste another couple of hundred million pounds holding a public inquiry into the matter when the facts have already been publicised, its a complete waste of time and money and unless they go down the David Kelly (45 minutes) route there not going to magically discover anything new or come to any other conclusion;
A state actor did the bidding of his masters to protect there national security which is pretty much what all are supposed to do, even better he managed to evade detection and capture and disappeared back home, if it was a James Bond novel it would be worth billions but its just yet another cold war hangover situation and its only worth is in demonstrating how bad the Ruskies are for the west .... which can be done through the media for free without needing to waste all those taxes !
Community Veteran

The Inquiry is a cheaper way of bringing Russia to its knees, compared with us invading them, over the issue of the Ukraine.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Well if we know everything, then why is some evidence from MI6 to be heard in secret? And final parts of the public inquiry to be redacted? Someone in Whitehall is covering up for both the Russians and ministers. So why not a public inquiry into the proximity of Russian oligarks to our political class? How the oligarks went from insignificant civil servants to big money political donors in the time it takes to say, "theft of state assets." Maybe by 2020, Dave, Boris or Ed, will be hugging the ganster thugs of eastern Ukraine - assuming they're not radioactive.
Community Veteran

Russia won't care one iota about the enquiry and its outcome. It won't affect Russia politically or economically.
The purpose of the enquiry is to look at the two things which the inquest did not look at:
1) Whether the UK state was aware of a threat to Litvinenko's life and whether it could have prevented his death;
2) Whether the Russian state was involved or responsible for his death.
Quote from: nanotm
but its all totally pointless when the Russians already admitted there man did it

Do you not get bored of posting nonsense and baseless facts? Because I get bored correcting you, in what is turning into a full time job.
The Russians have not admitted responsibility for his death and they have not admitted that one of their men, Nikolay Kovalyov, poisoned Litvinenko. Russian Prosecutors have requested evidence of the involvement, but have not received it (apparently) - http://en.ria.ru/russia/20070829/75649246.html
Russia protects its citizens from extradition under its constitution:
1. A citizen of the Russian Federation may not be deported from Russia or extradited to another State.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
Well if we know everything, then why is some evidence from MI6 to be heard in secret?

For national security? When was the last time our security services gave operational information and evidence in public at an enquiry or trial?