Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldman wins an Oscar

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Oldman wins an Oscar

Gary Oldman wins an Oscar, and well deserved in my view as his performance as Winston Churchill in the film Darkest Hour was nothing less than first rate - I happened to catch the film a couple of nights ago. What surprised me though was the suggestion that Churchill with some badgering from Halifax ever considered appeasing Hitler.

A revisionist view on history? Maybe, but a terrific movie anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/05/gary-oldman-wins-best-actor-for-darkest-hour-at-oscars-...

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Oldman wins an Oscar

Agree, a very good film.

I recall one newspaper had a series of photographs at different stages of his make up for Churchill, very impressive

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brexit-inspired jingoistic nonsense.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Frances McDormand in 'Three Billboards...." is also a very good movie and another well deserved Oscar. Great scene where she verbally lays into a Catholic priest. Brutal.

There is so much garbage out there that it make a refreshing change to see and a enjoy a couple decent well constructed films.   

Fixes: 247

Three billboards was excellent, haven't seen darkest hour - though a few people have said the tube scene spoils it.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I did wonder if the tube scene was stretching the truth a bit, but Winston was well known to wander off and reappear with ordinary people. Anythings possible I suppose Roll eyes

One thing that always catches my eye in films is the model of cars they use and this sedan he was being driven in has got me stumped. It's not a car mascot I recognise anyways although without it I'd take a guess at a Humber.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

It’s a Humber. Also used in The King’s Speech.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_368980-Humber-Pullman-1936.html

Community Veteran

Oldman is a true professional and well deserves the award.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.