cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldjim - Hall of Fame

Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Oldjim - Hall of Fame

Having read the sad news regarding the passing of Oldjim a thought occurred to me that it would be nice to have him (and others) remembered in perpetuity by introducing a forum “Hall of Fame”, where valued passed members can be inducted (maybe via a forum vote) into it for posterity.

As always this is just a thought, but one that I think has merit, I’m not asking for much even a manually edited static page would suffice, after all it is the thought that counts more than anything and respected, valued contributors like Oldjim should never be forgotten.

7 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Oldjim - Hall of Fame

Seconded. A great idea. Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

I was reading an older thread the other day and thought something similar when I saw his contribution. I saw his avatar and felt really sad that he was no longer here.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

It's definitely not the same without him around here. His facts and figures were a never ending amazement (and annoyance when trying to prove him wrong lol).

I certainly agree with the hall of fame idea, it would be nice for him to be remembered.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Not been on here for a while, saw the title and jumped straight here. Only to discover that Oldjim has passed away. This saddens me deeply. He was the 1st person to help me on the old forums when I newly joined!

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

He died several months back Steve. I had silently been wondering if something had happened to him as he'd not been online for a while which was unlike him.

I was really sad to hear the news though. He was a hard man to argue with but I still remember a couple of PMs he sent me that really made a difference to me in those difficult times. He clearly thought a lot of other people.

What I still cannot get my head around in this life business is the point of it all only to then have death forcefully imposed on us. Sure there are some wastes of space out there who are no loss to humanity when they go but then we have exceptional people like OldJim who were full of knowledge, experience and very skilled and suddenly their times comes and all of their usefulness and knowledge just vanishes overnight. What is the point in that? It seems totally illogical. I really fail to see the point of that as it is such a waste.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@7up

The thing about knowledge and experience is that it is passed on to others who have the will and sense to use it.

Over time that builds up over generations and hopefully makes life better for most people but I accept that due to circumstances not everyone can take advantage of these improvements.

Community Veteran

Thats correct glen assuming that person is able to spare the time to pass on their wealth of knowledge and experience but if they're not then everything they know goes with them the moment they've died. What is the logic in that?

I know it's not possible but it sorta seems like the rule book needs updating..