Did you mean: 

Older & Wiser ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Older & Wiser ?

Older & Wiser ? 

Apparently not.

It's long been thought that wisdom comes with age. 

But scientists now claim that having more life experience doesn't necessarily make you more knowledgeable about life.

In particular, old age doesn't seem to help people get an intuitive knack for grasping how others think and behave, researchers claim.

Victor Meldrew anyone?

Sour Grapes make for bad Whine !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5535563/Getting-older-does-NOT-make-wiser-claim-scien...

15 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Older & Wiser ?

I don't suppose we do have that 'intuitive knack', which is why we often rely on experience which we hope will prove enough.

Not always the case but the less experienced would be foolish to disregard it. After all, who would want to be led into battle by a twenty year old General or steered by a 'wet behind the ears' Admiral on the high seas?

Not me.

Twelve year old plumber anyone? Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 168

Defintely wiser as I get older.

I know longer jump to conclusions or jump in with both feet as experience has taught me to stand back and reconsider from other angles.

I love this quote:

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I've just built a kitchen cabinet from timber and plywood sheet. I can safely say without fear of contradiction, that my judgement in terms of design have not improved with age. An excessive number of avoidable mistakes requiring corrective work, though I did eventually reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 3

I occasionally see young TV presenters talking about the 1980s like it was the dark ages.  There are two things I would have liked when I was young: the internet and cheap flights.  But then we didn't have HIV, terrorism was a more distant threat than it is now, and if you could afford to fly there was no need to turn up at the airport the day before in order to get through security in time.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I don't think anyone gets wiser as they get older, they just become more experienced.

I think wisdom is something that you can be born with. I've known some very wise kids and some who wouldn't have a clue.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Surely we understand wisdom that is something gained through experience - such as being 'wise after the event'.

Born with common sense maybe and even intelligence as they can be innate, but wisdom? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 13.27.55.png

Community Veteran

I think it is a bit of both.

Not just age, but hindsight - I am sure we've all had past experiences in life where at the time you thought what you're doing is the right thing. Not saying you were doing the wrong thing, but you sit and think to the past and think "If it had happened to me today, I would have done this differently".

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Done things differently?

Not really because what I have experienced and what I have today by way of home, wife, and family, I might not have now - and matters might have turned out worse having made the 'right' decision. 

Maybe in a parallel universe. Smiley

Community Veteran

Wisdom is remembering to keep a cupboard door closed after you've walked into it from being left open, I'm not wise...........

Fixes: 58

I would have said as one of the 'oldies' I have wisely avoided contributing to this thread.

However I just have.

Was that wise.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I like this one.....

Youth is the time to study wisdom; old age is the time to practice it.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I'll buy that Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

How about this one...

" Wisdom is like the tooth....... it grows on you "

Shutter 24 Mar 2018

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Minivanman wrote:

Surely we understand wisdom that is something gained through experience - such as being 'wise after the event'.

Born with common sense maybe and even intelligence as they can be innate, but wisdom? 

I'm not so sure about that. Some people are just naturally wise, others less so.

Experience is something you gain through life and learn from..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!