Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Drivers penalised on Car Insurance

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Older Drivers penalised on Car Insurance

Drivers can be penalised simply because of their age.
Drivers aged around 60 pay the lowest premiums, but it becomes increasingly difficult for older drivers because fewer insurers will cover them.
89 year old Stan is one such driver.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-3097878/A-careful-driver-nips-shops-s-one-millions-eld...
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Older Drivers penalised on Car Insurance

It's about time they redressed the balance... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not the only thing that costs the Elderly more !
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Given that the most accidents are caused by the differing ends of the age this is normal.
Higher premiums for young drivers or old (>80) drivers.
How many times have we seen cases where some old driver has caused an accident by driving the WRONG way down a road/motorway ? There was a case here where a "senior" lady REVERSED her car into the Tesco window, from the car park across the walkway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Am I not correct in thinking that premiums increase once you reach 70, if more accidents happen to those age 80+ then the increases should start then.
I also suspect younger drivers are likely to kill more people including themselves and passangers due to speed at the time of the accident than some elderly driver causing an accident at a lower speed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ gleneagles....
Dunno.... but my renewal came up 5 months after I reached 70 yrs old... and also 5 months after changing for a more modern Skoda Fabia ... the renewal WAS more than the last years premium, but then, I kinda expected that... as it is the "norm" for insurance companies to hike up the premiums, especially for those "auto-renewal" letters.... I went to their website, and put in all my details, as per my previous year... ( but updated my age )... and the premium was £30 less than what they wanted to charge for "auto renewal"... so I phoned them up, and they agreed to the lower price, which was, slightly cheaper than when I was 69 yrs old ( last renewal )...
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I used to take in the M25 western section, the M4 past Heathrow and got tangled up for 11,000 miles a year. Now I'm retired and doing about 2,000 miles a year mine went up by £60.
Their theory at renewal time was that I can now jump in the car 24x7 so I'm a higher risk.
Let's be careful out there !
Fixes: 47

Now I'm particularly interested in the renewal quote I'm expecting early next month as my annual mileage these days is around 3400 miles and I'm 67 Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
ffox
Rising Star

@Strat:  I'm 10 years older than you and mine hasn't gone up yet.  I'll let you know when it does.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Kremmen
Their theory at renewal time was that I can now jump in the car 24x7 so I'm a higher risk.
As far as I know retired people are deemed to be less of a risk because they are unlikely to travel during the rush hours.
As a test I edited my details in GoCompare from retired to working as a clerk (which is what I have done) and the premiums when working went up on average around £15.
Obviously as I am under retirement age it may change when I hit 60, or 70. I'll post back then Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did all the major company websites and my insurance quote went up from desk jockey at 11k a year to retired at 4k a year. Even though I'm only doing 2000 a year a broker friend said to declare no less than 4000 as low mileage drivers are also considered a higher risk.
Funny thing was, even with the £60 increase, I'm still paying less than the online new business quotes.
I don't use any of the comparison sites because their offerings are severly restricted which is one of the ploys they use to become one of the top 5 hits. Nice and cheap but don't try and make a claim because they make it a nightmare.
Let's be careful out there !
cajef
Grafter

I have been with Direct Line for years, every time I get my renewal through I look on the comparison sites and cannot find it any cheaper with any other company, I was 70 last year and last week got my renewal notice through and it is actually £11 cheaper then last years premium. Smiley