cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olde Worlde "thingy`s"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Olde Worlde "thingy`s"

On another thread,  Testimonials > The Gadget Show, Jameseh brought in an olde worlde word  "brace" ....  And used it in this reply...

Don't get me wrong, if we were to do something that sparked a brace of signups, we'd make sure that we wouldn't be impacted in a negative way for you guys and the rest of our customer base.

I pointed out to him that a "brace" was another term for " a pair" ....
He thought it was        " a sudden influx.  Never knew it only meant two!"          (no disrespect to Jameseh)
I think the original use was by the "gentry" when counting up their "bag" (another  "olde worlde" saying) for the day.... as in...
"Ah, now then Jeeves, how many d`yu think I bagged today?"
(touch of the forelock)
"I reckon it be about 15 brace, your worship"  (in other words  30 birds shot and collected { bagged } )

Now it occurred to me that we use a lot of "olde worlde" sayings similar to this, and wondered if you have any favourites, that could be explained  "in simple terms"
49 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Olde Worlde "thingy`s"

ey up shutter its not Friday night Roll eyes
Fixes: 101

I don't think brace is that older worlde and Jameseh, allegedly a football man (though supporting Spurs I'm not sure that fits) should have known what a brace was..
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its the thing that holds his teeth together when we knock them out  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I don't think brace is that older worlde and Jameseh, allegedly a football man (though supporting Spurs I'm not sure that fits) should have known what a brace was..

We're far too used to scoring 4 or 5 (against Arsenal).
N/A

There is sometimes a class at dog shows called the Brace class the owner brings in two of her/his dogs who are of similar standing i.e. looks, size etc. They are always from the same kennel and the catalogue listing goes something like Mr & Mrs ......'s brace.
Also, of course, you used to buy a brace of pheasants or whatever from the shops who sold game (or am I imagining it?).
Must do that memory test above...........
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
ey up shutter its not Friday night Roll eyes

How observant Pierre !  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Perhaps pierre's eeePC thinks its Friday!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

No mine corrects the time when I go on the net  Grin
he asked for old sayings so I said  "ey up"  and these Shutter obscure threads normally start on a Friday Night, Are you getting warmer yet?
Fixes: 101

Why on earth is 'ey up' and old saying?
Hmmm suddenly begging to think I'm old  Shocked
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know it comes from up North to us down here
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
No mine corrects the time when I go on the net   Grin
he asked for old sayings so I said  "ey up"  and these Shutter obscure threads normally start on a Friday Night, Are you getting warmer yet?

Ay yup lad.......... tis a North country expression, but not so sure about the "Olde Worlde" conotations...   Huh
As I have been "on holiday" so to speak,  Cool  I have decided that the "obscure threads" will start on obscure days,    Cheesy and leave Friday night for dancing !...
Yes, I am getting warmer now, the new boiler provided by warmfront is doing a marvellous job. Thank you.
Fixes: 47

Guinea e.g. £1 and 1shilling or 21 bob.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Hi strat, Did you see the £1279.00 geeeeeeeeeetarrrrr on the gadget show tonite?
jmd
Grafter

When I was a child we used to visit my Aunts in Rochdale and would have to change buses in Cannon St, Manchester.  This involved walking past a shop where they had braces of pheasants complete with feathers hanging  outside shop window, along with rabbits [dead but not skinned], haunches of venison - I used used want to run past the place as I was worried that the birds might suddenly land on me!  Now as an adult and having seen pheasants crossing the road not far from where I now live I wonder how anyone can shoot and kill such attractive birds.
Poppy's comment just reminded me of this.
Old wordly phases - to go past this shop we went down an "alley", but round here they call em "ginnells" - also "entries".
Glad you are warmer Shutter.  Pierre is possibly feeling chilly.