cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OldJim.. why does this happen?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

OldJim.. why does this happen?

You seem to know anything about everything when it comes to any form of engineering...
Why is it that frequently we come home and turn the lights on in the living room, a bulb blows and takes out the fuse in the fusebox?
It has been getting worse for a while - louder bangs and brighter flashes however tonight was much worse - the actual light bulb EXPLODED. Glass everywhere all over the living room and the place lit up so brightly when she turned the lights on i thought there was a storm in the living room  The bang sounded like a canon  Shocked
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: OldJim.. why does this happen?

I've had a few go like that last year. The bulb just went pop (loudly) and landed on the carpet still in one piece with the metal base left in the holder.
I put it down to using foreign bulbs from the 99p shop.
I've since replaced them with fluorescents so hopefully no more pops.
Fixes: 47

I used to have the situation where a failing filament bulb tripped the lighting circuit MCB.
Most annoying as it inevitably plunged the house into darkness.
I very quickly placed a torch near the fuse board for such situations.
I've a sneaky feeling this has been discussed before and the failing bulb draws a much higher current at the instant of failure.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you got any way of checking your mains voltage - it could be too high.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Is it a halogen light or a conventional bulb
If conventional bulb I have no idea but with a halogen they often blow the fuse if you don't get the more expensive fused versions
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13171
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
I've had a few go like that last year. The bulb just went pop (loudly) and landed on the carpet still in one piece with the metal base left in the holder.
I put it down to using foreign bulbs from the 99p shop.
I've since replaced them with fluorescents so hopefully no more pops.

I agree with the 99p bulbs from foreign parts of the world
Only once I ever had a bulb pop & that was a 99p energy bulb, lucky enough the glass did not shatter (albeit it had been on for over an hour),
however the glass & circuit board was left hanging by a very thin wire, & blew the trip fuse
Since changing all the bulbs to those received from the energy companies, we have had approx 6 years of problem free bulbs Wink
We still have a few spare from the energy companies (so good to go for a while) Wink
Community Veteran

I vaguely remember the reason being that when the filament breaks, the gap then allows an arc which has a far lower resistance than the filament alone. This can vaporise more of the filament (think welder) and you get a catastrophic failure until the current becomes such that the fuse blows.
I could be totally wrong but this rings a bell.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Is it a halogen light or a conventional bulb
If conventional bulb I have no idea but with a halogen they often blow the fuse if you don't get the more expensive fused versions
http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13171

Conventional. Glass was literally everywhere - didn't help that we couldn't see it due to lack of light either! We'd also run out of fuse wire so we had to go straight back out to B&Q to get some..
@Dom that would make sense but it wouldn't explain why it's getting worse and more violent each time. When we first lived here this would never happen - a bulb would blow but the others would stay on. Now we're guaranteed a fuse failure every time  Angry
Worst thing is the fuse box is in a cupboard right up at the top by the ceiling and tucked away to the side. The lighting fuse blade is of course right behind this and even harder to get back in. It's a real PAIN!!!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I got a few boxes of cheap 60W filament bulbs from Next before they were banned. The first two that blew took out the fuse box fuses. The next took out the 5 amp plug fuse of a table lamp.  I have been using the rest in a table lamp with a 13 amp plug fuse. Now at least the fuse survives the bulbs blowing. There have been flashes and pops but no explosions....so far.
This is not an issue that I had ever experienced with other brands of filament bulb.
Community Veteran

You could replace the fuse carrier with an MCB!  Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fusebox...
Head torch, two packs of Fuse wire, and an electrical Screwdriver !!
And... labelled fuses circuits.

One room kept blowing fuses in the lighting circuit, turns out it was a dodgy double wall switch !
Usually took out a bulb too, new switch, no further problems.
Community Veteran

PCUK you are a legend. I will have to look into the switch as it's the same room everytime with us too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: 7up
Conventional. Glass was literally everywhere - didn't help that we couldn't see it due to lack of light either!

Have you though of getting some of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Automatic-Emergency-Light-Dragons/dp/B003U47RCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U...
When it goes dark they turn on low. When the power goes off they come on bright. Pick them up out of the holder and they turn on bright which you then use as a torch.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have battery Powered PIR lights around the home, for just such eventualities.
Also useful for just night-time wanderings
NiMH batteries seem to last a couple of months before needing recharging.
With powerful Torches to hand, at least one in each of the main rooms, Flood and Spot types, the most useful........ Head Torches.
I also have home-made torches with a night-glow facility to enable location in the pitch black !
Yes, we have / have had numerous blackouts, from fuses blowing, or Power Cuts.
TORPC
Grafter

This Rechargeable 20 LED Motion Sensor Safety Night Light & Torch, seems more appropriate & a tad cheaper Wink
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Motion-Sensor-Safety-Night/dp/B00F95OEYE/ref=pd_sim_light_4?ie=...