Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Old subject - changing electricity suppliers

Would you join PN based purely on this forum? Laugh

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

There are questions I always have about the validity of review sites' results. The first thing I ask my self, is, whether a 5* review says the company is 5 times better than what a 1* company would be. Just multiplying the number of reviews of the classes of opinion by the star rating, totalling all and coming to %age seems naively crude.

In the TrustPllot review the polarization of opinion seems extreme and odd. I find it difficult to believe that no person gave a 4 or 3.

My cynicism seems even more justified from what is on a site that reviews the reviewersWe type our own!!We type our own!!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've been quite cynical about Trustpilot for a long time, some of the reviews seem "conveniently bad" for things that are nowhere near as they describe, I'm pretty sure there's some underhand paid-reviews going on with that site, so as a result I tend to avoid it, they can't be trusted... Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I intend to change my supplier as mentioned in a earlier post, as I understand it if you give notice of the change within 49 days of your current contract finishing,in my case 31st Oct, then there is no penalty for leaving your current supplier if you are on a fixed contract.

I pay for dual fuel by DD each month and have always been in credit usually paying between £ 75 to £ 88 a month but this month they  have dropped my payment to £ 50 and it has never been anywhere as low as that. My suspicious mind is thinking that if they can show I owe them anything when I try to change they can refuse or waste time before letting me change suppliers.

They only produce bills every 3 months so I would have no idea what if anything I might be owing them.

Anyone any comments or advice on this ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I have dual fuel with EDF... been ok for the past 4 years... I don`t pay by dd... although they do send me an email every month saying "your minimum payment is due".. Usually around £65.... so I send in my meter readings via their site... and two days later get an amended bill... for the past three months it has been around £40.. so saving me £25 a month...  ok you say.. I will get bigger bills in the winter.. and that`s true.. but then... I will have had use of that £75 ..... not EDF... and being a Yokshuman, I am pretty tight with the use of elec and gas.. only  using what is needed/necessary... therefore when the winter bills come in...I shall only be paying for what I have actually used... If I remember.. last years dual fuel for winter never exceeded £80... so it was easy enough to pay "on demand"...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

They only produce bills every 3 months so I would have no idea what if anything I might be owing them.

Anyone any comments or advice on this ?

If your current supplier offers online bill viewing, sign up for it (even if it's only for a month) so you can see your bills before you go, and besides, unless you're in debt for over 28 days in which case they can block a switch, but from the sounds of it, that's unlikely to happen in your case... Smiley

If you do owe anything after the switch, you can pay at your leisure, just don't take the piddle with how leisurely that is... Grin

Highlighted
Fixes: 413

My current deal with iSupplyEnergy expired a week or so ago (£22 pm gas and £68 pm Electricity) so am looking around.

The best deal I have found so far is with First Utility which works pout at £16 a month dearer. This is the first time since switching regularly that I have not found a cheaper supplier!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@Mav wrote:
This is the first time since switching regularly that I have not found a cheaper supplier!

Likewise - having switched every year for the last decade (and 4 times in the last 3 years) forcing my costs downwards,  I have been on a rock bottom tariff with a small supplier (Avro) for the last year, at around £750pa. As a minimum I am now looking at a 10% increase, and well over 20% with the "big 6"

(on the plus side, my son has moved out, so we should get a huge saving from not having his computer kit draining the national grid)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Have you looked at some of the big switch types? Like freepostcodelottery & themoneysavingexpert ones
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

There was one good "big switch" a few years back, but since then there has been nothing special; on one occasion Scottish Power "won" the bid with a tariff that was generally available anyway. I still keep an eye on them, but I reckon they are of more value to those who rarely switch, or who only switch between the big companies.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Went with Scottish Power in the end as the offer from OVO isn't available now  - fixed till January 2020 and at almost exactly the same as the fixed price tariff from SSE which runs out next month and their new one is significantly more expensive

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

my original intention was to switch to Ovo but a better deal was available from First Utility so have gone with them..

No wonder some people do not switch, the various comparison sites can give a different supplier as the cheapest in your area, further checks of some of the cheapest recommended sites get poor ratings on customer reviews so if you have had no problems with your current supplier is it worth switching to save a couple of pounds a month ?

All the figures they give are based on your estimated usage which could be well above your actual usage so it will be interesting to compare previous cost with cost over next 12 months.

Another factor is the wide difference between standing charges that companies have, are you better having a higher standing charge and lower usage per Kw or lower standing charge and higher usage per Kw ? I guess at some point the 2 must match in terms of cost and usage ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I gave my actual usage and decided that a slightly higher standing charge was worth it for an extra years fix and no exit fee

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I guess it depends on how many people live with you (as you will obviously use more energy), whether your cooker is electric or gas .. etc.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

my house is all electric heating so you can guess I use an awful lot